ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#91011 12/22/04 09:07 AM
G
I have an Engineer/Architect who insist on using part of a removable trim piece as a cover plate for switch or receptacle openings. He does a super job of routering out the wood "plate" and lining the side facing the switch with metal duct tape. I'm trying to understand why this should or should not be acceptable. I don't find where this needs to be a "listed" product nor are boxes required to be listed. Have any of you guys/girls run into this in your travels?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#91012 12/22/04 11:26 AM
W
I've seen wood switchplates for sale, both in the big orange store and online, eg. http://www.eclectic-ware.com/Eclectic-ware_navigator/switchplates/switchplates.html

-Jon

#91013 12/22/04 01:53 PM
G
Why don't you just have him router out a bit more wood so a "handy box" cover will fit under the trim? As long as the trim piece can be removed without disturbing the building finish I have no problem with that part but I do think the cover needs to be non combustible.
Would you let someone bush out a box set an inch back in a combustible wall with this tape?
If so, hold your nose and OK it. I wouldn't.

Greg Fretwell
#91014 12/22/04 05:06 PM
D
I'll spot winnie on this one... wood switch & receptacle plates have been available for years.

Not sure if they're Listed, but I've seen 'em ...

#91015 12/23/04 02:13 AM
G
Cube taps are available too but you don't want to see one as part of the installation when you inspect it.
Explain to me what the difference is between having a wooden trim piece serving as a cover and having 1/2" of combustible wall covering exposed from the box lips to the cover.

BTW who says covers don't have to be listed. There are listing marks on the ones I am looking at as we speak (Leviton plastics)
Just because the "fabulous folks" have some boutique covers they can trick Walmart into selling doesn't mean I have to approve them.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 12-23-2004).]

Greg Fretwell
#91016 12/23/04 09:19 AM
G
Greg- I'll take it one step more, I don't have to accept them even if they are Listed. As it turns out they aren't required to be listed. per NEC. The "plates" I had questioned have no combustible material exposed to the electrical components of the switch or receptacle. Actually they were rather well crafted. Must of cost a fair amount of money to have the finish carpenter spend all that time with the router etc.
I make the statement in my classes that nothing in our trade is required to be UL Listed just to get their attention and it usually works. But it's true.

George Little
#91017 12/23/04 01:58 PM
G
"I make the statement in my classes that nothing in our trade is required to be UL Listed just to get their attention and it usually works. But it's true."

Ah so you are the guy who OK's plumbing fittings in RNMC runs and receptacles mounted in soap bottles. I wondered. ;-)

110.2 Approval.
The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved.
Article 100
Approved. Acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.

I see your point but approved usually means listed.

Greg Fretwell
#91018 12/23/04 05:05 PM
I looked at a few store bought plates, both switch and receptacle, single & 2-gang:

UL insignia on back of plate, (3 out of 4); plates were/are various species of "wood", pine, oak, TEAK, etc.

Back of the plate has a recessed metal plate the size of a 1 or 2 gang cutout box. I guess the metal plate satisfies UL's requirements. Metal plate appears to be < 1/16" thick. I'll have to buy one, and rip it apart.

I have seen these plates at the big orange, big blue, and a few specialty shops.

Will I accept them?? Installed properly; yes.

John

John
#91019 12/23/04 05:23 PM
G
Ah so you are the guy who OK's plumbing fittings in RNMC runs and receptacles mounted in soap bottles. I wondered. ;-)
Oops your wise to me. The secret is out. Now I must assume a new identity. The jig is up. Now all the low lifes will come to Michigan and work in my area. Greg if I thought you were serious I'd be insulted but I know your not. We have some towns around my area that the adminstration insist that all equipment be UL listed and I find this not practical. There are a lot of items that are not listed yet are very well accepted in the electrical industry. This forum is an excellent place to compare notes for inspectors and contractors. Always a pleasure to banter with you.

George Little
#91020 12/23/04 11:32 PM
G
Yup you are right, I'm just poking fun at you.
Have a good holiday

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard