ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
but can the POCO override the NEC, if the installation falls under the jurisdiction of the NEC? Or is the pole and top half considered utility property, and fall under 90-2(B)(5)?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

O
Portland General pdf

Edit by iwire to shorten link

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-15-2004).]

F
The pole shown in the link I provided is customer owned because the power company does not permit a meter enclosure to be mounted on their pole.
If the power company does not require a disconnect I think that would be considered Code compliant as far as the AHJ is concerned. From the information you listed in your original question, I do not believe you need a disconnect at pole.

T
Why would the POCO not requiring a disconnect make it ok if it is required by the NEC? Seems to me they can't dictate NEC to us anymore then we can to them.

P
The last sentence:
Individual meter socket enclosures shall not be considered service equipment.

225.31 Disconnecting Means. Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through the building or structure.

I do not see how these conductors are supplying power to the pole. For that matter, would not all poles (structures) require a disconnect for that matter?

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
F
trekkie76-

Installation of a disconnect would not be illegal, just not a requirement. Of course if this were for a mobile home a disconnect would be a requirement.
I assume electrical engineers create a power company's installation rule book and approve drawings within the book.
If they don't require a disconnect I would not think an electrical inspector would require a disconnect.

[This message has been edited by Frank Cinker (edited 12-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Frank Cinker (edited 12-13-2004).]

G
FWIW, In case anybody cares, by putting the meter on the pole and then feeding the customer underground with or without a disconnect means the customer will be paying for any voltage drop and leakages involved with the underground wiring.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 12-13-2004).]

George Little
T
then why is the language of the section 230-70 and 230-70(A)1 using the word structure? They didn't have to put that in there. So, how do you disconnect the structure (pole) from the service entrance conductors?

M
Hi,

Quote:
"Of course if this were for a mobile home a disconnect would be a requirement."

I do not beleive there is a requirement to have a disconnect further than 30 feet from a MOBILE OR MANUFACTURED home. There may be a POCO requirement for this or AHJ but nothing in the code.

No disconnect is reqired at a meterbase on the pole whether it is a house or a mobile home.

The main has to be on either side of the wall for a residence.

The disconnect can be mounted on a MANUFACTURED HOME but NOT a MOBILE HOME. ( I would not reccommend it)

You still need a disconnect inside a mobile home or manufactured home even if you have a disconnect within 30 feet.

Meters are placed by the POCO so they can read them and so they do not have to change drawings for different drops at an address.

We just hashed all this out in another thread..

-regards

Greg

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 12-13-2004).]

M
Pedestal or pole mounted meter sockets are very popular here in northern Minnesota for rural residences with outbuildings. It is extremely rare to see a disconnecting means at the meter locations. Its very common now to see two 320 amp sockets on a 4' X 4' sheet of treated plywood pedestal. One socket for the main power, the other for off-peak metering.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard