ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#90725 12/08/04 09:29 PM
T
O.K. I am sure this question has been asked, but I am at an impass. Is a disconnect required for a service on a pole feeding a house? transformer is on pole, SE comes down to meter, pole is 100' feet from house. I beleive 230-70 says I need to have on there, but I am having difficulties with others on the proper course of action. Any help would be appreciated.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Trekkie, take note of 230.70(A)(1),

either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

This would imply (atleast to me) that the (or a) disconnecting means be located at the structure.

Roger

S
Why do you put the meter on the pole by the street and not on the house?

Is this a local utility requirement?

shortcircuit

M
Hi, our power co. does not allow a meter on their pole, we need to if the customer does not want the meter on the house, to install a pedistal, and the meter goes on there, and the service panel just inside the house where the conduit enters...

T
the pole being a structure right Roger?

R
Yes, the pole is a structure, as defined. See article 100 definition.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
S
I think it depends on local codes as well. Around here pedestals and customer poles DO NOT require disconnects. We do them all the time. They do require two ground rods though.

edit: Sorry, should read "...meters on pedestals & customer poles..."

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 12-10-2004).]

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
T
I don't see anything in section 230.70 that would require a disconnect at the pole. I have seen a lot of curbside meters, especially in rural service, that supplied service equipment located clean out of sight from the meter. Utilities require meters on poles so that they do not have to enter the property to read them. The location of the meter does not govern the location of the service disconnecting means. A good example is the yard pole or pedestal very commonly found on agricultural properties. The metering occurs at the pole to facilitate the use of a single meter for the entire premise. The service disconnecting means can then be located either at the meter or on each building.

If you do decide to locate the service disconnecting means at the pole you will still have to locate the building disconnecting means at each building. In the event that there are conductive pathways between those buildings you would be required to run an equipment grounding conductor with the feeder to each building. This will markedly raise the cost of the installation.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
T
The way I read the section, you need a means of disconnecting the service-entrance conductors at every building or structure. I don't think the meter would serve this function. Otherwise your only disconnect is the switch on the pot. But how does that section work for uninterrupted risers at said pole? I see that all the time too, and there is no disconnect.For clarifaction, the bottom half of the service is in sch 80, 3 wire, ground rods at pole and house.

F
I live in Pittsburgh, PA. The following link is taken directly from our Power Company's installation rule book:

Duquesne Light

No disconnect required for pole mounted meter.

Edit by iwire to shorten link

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-15-2004).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard