ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90604 12/02/04 08:02 PM
S
I have a peninsula counter in kitchen, with no cabinets overhead. There is a range in this peninsula. To the left of the range, it is over 2 ft. to the next receptacle, and to the right of the range there is about 18" of counter space. There is a "bar overhang" of about 1 ft. on the other side. If I interpret the code right, I will have to have a receptacle on the left side of the range within 2 ft. The only space that I have is about 2 1/4" above the back splash of the counter top. It's not enough room to safely cut in a box. The back splash is the "curved type" that is part of the counter top itself. Don't won't to try cutting into that. I don't want to buy it if I mess up or have problems"eek" Can a piece of plug mold work here in the small space above the counter top? And also, on the other side where the bar is at, does the space under the "bar overhang" fall under the 6 ft. rule for the beginning of wall space? Since this obviously is meant to be as a serving type bar and not designed for setting furniture etc. is a receptacle required here? Seems like I've been in other houses and seen one is not provided there. Just wondering if the inspector may have missed it or am I missing something in the code? Thanks Steve.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

U
The last two jobs I was on had issues with kitchen plugs. Neither case was required by code... it just came down to the builder's specs.

The first was a kitchen island. We ended up putting plugs in the millwork just below the countertop on each end.

The second had only about a 4" stub wall on peninsula. Of course the wall wasn't that short on the drawings, but we had to mash in a plug, garb switch, and telephone plug - all sideways - in that little space.

The last thing I've heard of is plugs on the front face of the millwork just below the countertop. (Usually installed for the elderly or disabled.)

J
JG Offline
If the counter top has a sink, range, you must have a recepticle on both ends. 210.50
Of course they must be GFI protected. Plug mold would work as long as the the plugs were not facing up.
JG

G
sparkync ---

Why not ask your inspector if you can have no recepts in that area?

If not, have an engineer sign the plans without the recepts.

I
u2slow I do not understand this.

The last two jobs I was on had issues with kitchen plugs. Neither case was required by code... it just came down to the builder's specs.
The first was a kitchen island. We ended up putting plugs in the millwork just below the countertop on each end.

Was the island smaller than 24" x 12"?

210.52(C)(2) Island Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each island counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

Kitchen islands are generally required to have outlets.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Thanks for the replies. I ended up cutting in one receptacle in the end of the cabinet on the right side of the range, and on the left hand side of the range, I, very carefully cut in a receptacle in the back splash. It was tight, but all went well. Thanks again.. Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard