ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#90446 11/22/04 12:15 PM
M
Hi,
I have a CLIENT who is building a new home and she has a shower stall that she wants to place a light in. The switch for this light would be located at the basin adjacent to the shower. Is this too close or would it be allowed since it is around a corner?

The same room aslo has a whirlpool tub. The room has his and hers sinks on either side with a light bar at each and a pendant mounted light in the center of the room. The toilet is in its own little room within this room and it has a vent/light combo.

I do not see a problem with the pendant mounted light fixture in the center of the room but the light in the shower stall has to be approved for that location does it not?

Thanks for any replies.

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 11-22-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90447 11/22/04 07:07 PM
S
There is no restriction on how close a light switch or a plug can be to a shower stall or a whirlpool tub.

410.4d restricts pendant fixtures from within 3ft horizontally and 8ft vertically or the top of the bathtub rim.

A surface light in a shower should be suitable for wet location.

shortcircuit

#90448 11/22/04 08:15 PM
M
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't Art 680.43 (A) require a recept NO CLOSER than 5 feet on a Indoor installation of a spa or hot tub. This doesn't include a switch for the tub or light for the tub does it? Isn't this addressed somehwere? Seems like I read that somewhere...maybe in Stallcups electrical design book?

Art 680.43 (B)covers the lighting

410.4 (D) covers bathtubs and showers

I beleive there are restrictions on distances but they only apply to certain types of installations and fixtures.

As I read it there is some restriction as long as the light is approved for the location.

-regards

Mustang

#90449 11/22/04 09:13 PM
P
I am not sure if you mean what you mean by saying approved [Linked Image] Take a look at the definition of both listed and approved.
Whirlpools, spas and hottubs usually get mixed up by people. This is why the terminology in our industry is so important.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#90450 11/22/04 10:53 PM
M
Hi,
Thanks for the reply...I mean that the light fixture is LISTED or APPROVED for WET LOCATIONS...but a shower is a DAMP location is it not?

-regards

Mustang

#90451 11/22/04 11:40 PM
E
e57 Offline
Showers, tubs, spas and hot tubs are both different and simular, but not the same.

680.43 Indoor Installations.
A spa or hot tub installed indoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article except as modified by this section...

I(C) Wall Switches. Switches shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft), measured horizontally, from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub.
Receptacles, wall switches, and electrical devices and controls not associated with a spa or hot tub are required to be located at least 5 ft from the inside wall of the spa or hot tub. Receptacles within 10 ft are required to be protected by a GFCI. Receptacles supplying power to a spa or hot tub are also required to be protected by a GFCI unless the unit is a listed package unit with integral GFCI protection.
Lighting fixtures, lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans located less than 12 ft over a spa or hot tub and within 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub are required to be protected by a GFCI.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#90452 11/22/04 11:57 PM
M
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I knew I read that somewhere.

That is why I post questions on the site.

You may think you know everything but it only goes to show it never hurts to ask a question! What is that old saying you hear all the time? "The only dumb question is the question you didnt ask?"

Yes I am a Master Electrician.

Thats one copy and paste I do not mind!

Thanks E57.

-regards

MUSTANG

#90453 11/23/04 12:35 AM
E
e57 Offline
No worries I have to look several times most times, "Grrrr, it's in here somewhere!"

Anyway, I posted that as I was being called to diner, but had one otherthing to add. Although there isn't a restriction on switches by a shower persay, it is always best for just using the noodle, and common sense etc. and imagining the shower running to see that you wont be in the path of spraying water, or making the switch too accessable. I however think this is something the code missed.

---------------------------
Oh, and this only SF.... In my neck of the woods all lighting below 8' from the top of the tub or shower pan must be GFI'ed, reguardless of fixture type. I can feel the rumbling of Electure now, awakening like a sleeping giant, to say, "They can't supercede the state....."

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-22-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#90454 11/23/04 07:33 AM
S
Mustang...your 1st post said a "whirlpool tub" which is different from a hot tub or spa.The code identifies a whirlpool tub as a "hydromassage tub" which is covered by part 7 of article 680 and is not required to comply with other parts of article 680

The difference between a hydromassage tub and a hot tub is that a hydromassage tub is drained after each use. Hot tubs use chemicals.

I would consider the ceiling area over a shower stall a wet location.

shortcircuit

#90455 11/23/04 08:47 AM
M
Hi,
Thanks for the replies again. Thanks Shortcut for defining the difference between bathtub/whirlpool tub and SPA/hot tub.

The tub/shower switch/outlet installation is a tricky animal too.

That really clears up some confusion.

-regards

Mustang

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard