ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 483 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
I just finished a job where the previous homeowner blew in cellulose insulation that was waist high in places. No kidding! It was in snow drifts in the corners and the outside wall had a bank that was shoulder high! Luckily there was minimal electric in the home (i.e. no recepts or lights in half the house).

In a place like that you are more likely to find a rat than a j-box.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
A demographic rule of thumb that I picked up at the home improvement magazines I consult with: Over half of single family dwellings have been built since 1970.

Of the half built before 1970, a big proportion will be dwellings that will attract attic J-boxes. I see a lot of 'em. The core legacy circuit or two from a time of 30 Amp service entrances.

Al Hildenbrand
F
In 2 story homes I wire, I routinely run a 1" EMT to the attic and terminate in a 12x12x6 pull box for the 2nd floor circuits. When I do this I mount the pull box in a central part of the attic where there is the most headroom and mount it on 24" 2x4 risors/plywood. This not only makes it easy to find in the future, it also keeps anyone from having to lay in cellulose to access it.

P
Since I have to put my name on the document, I crawl into every attic, crawl space for each inspection I perform that requires it. I will admit, I am the 'dirtiest' inspector I know [Linked Image] The contractors usually ask me 'what?' when I ask for a ladder for the scuttle hole [Linked Image]
Like I said my name is on that final document and it won't go on that document until I am satisfied the work complies with the MINIMUM code requirements.
The biggest problem I find in attics is 320.23

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
M
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. I can remember a time ot two or three where I have seen boxes without covers, cables without connectors terminations without wire nuts and my favorite...a splice with a wrap or two of 33.

I also like where the new AC unit is tapped from the range wire or HW heater..

-regards

MUSTANG

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard