ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
From the Suncoast Division of the IAEI

It is a very common practice around here to have a blank cover for the lighting outlet, even on a $800,000 house.

Question:

Is an electrical inspector correct for asking that a lighting fixture (or lampholder) be installed at lighting outlets where they exist instead of a blank cover, such as in a kitchen or bathroom, or in any other location before allowing occupancy?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
In a kitchen or bathroom I think a light must be installed in order to satisfy 210.70, although I can see where a person could argue it.

If the light is in a location where a lighting outlet is not required, then I would have to allow a blank cover.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
I
It is clear all that is required by the NEC is an outlet.

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.

Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).

(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).

(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Perhaps there are building codes that actually require illumination.

You can only enforce what the code states, especially true when the words are in article 100

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-31-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
Although it's as tacky as it can be, I agree that by definition, the outlet is required, but the utilization equiptment (the light in this case)isn't. Having argued the technicality of the NEC, I'd always install a light, even if only an open-bulb plastic light (75 cents?). I wouldn't want to loose a customer over a few dollars.

Dave

G
I believe that the intent of the code is to provide lighting without requiring an additional permit to install the fixtures.

While only an outlet, the recepticle, is required at a recepticle, a fixture is required at a juction box.

I
Forgetting about what each of us would do, or what the NFPAs intent is, what does 210.70 state?

Article 100
Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture), or a pendant cord terminating in a lampholder.

Notice it states "intended", it does not state "equipped with"

The 2002 NEC use the word Luminaire over 250 times, why not here in 210.70?

The exception that allows "receptacles controlled by a wall switch" specifically states receptacles, not receptacle outlets.

Still we are not required to leave a floor lamp.

Tacky or not [Linked Image] that is how I see it.

I am interested in how this can be interpreted any other way?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

It can be argued that the phrase "IS TAKEN" requires a fixture as well as bulbs to transform the junction box into an outlet.

But I can see where people might want to select their own lighting fixtures and I would not object to that either.

G
George, are you saying you would fail a final if there was a burned out bulb?

Greg Fretwell
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
It's pretty common in the Denver area as well. Here is the scenario: Family room,(Or other room)has switched receptacle to meet the intent of the code. Then a switch and lighting opening are roughed in for a ceiling fan and it is an option to either hang a builder furnished fan at the time the home is built or have a blank installed for installation at a later point. In this situation I would rather see a blank plate than a keyless.

R
Well I can see both sides of this one.We regularly have a blank where additional fans lights maybe installed at home owners leisure.But in most cases there`s some source of lighting to meet code.Because they won`t pass off on blank cover say in kitchen.Sometimes we get by with the over sink light.I mean everyone knows a nice light will be installed but I guess is it installed properly and by whom could be the question

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard