ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90068 10/28/04 04:43 PM
S
If you replace the overhead service entrance cable and the meter can on the side of a dwelling because of corrosion, would you also have to bring any service grounding into compliance to current code.Like installing suplimentry ground rods?

Also would changing the outside part of the service mean that you should bring any part of the inside service equipment into compliance with current code?

shortcircuit

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90069 10/28/04 04:49 PM
G
Did you have to get a permit? If so it is really up to the inspector and the AHJ. We can only guess and suggest based on how they do it "here". As an inspector my opinion would be based on the safety of that particular installation but YMMV.

Greg Fretwell
#90070 10/28/04 06:38 PM
D
Definitely check with the Building Dept.,shortcircuit, but personally I'd update the grounding on principle, and wouldn't be too keen on pulling new service wiring into an old panel.

Usually I have requests for a new interior panel using the old exterior work. I think the only time I changed the outside without replacing the panel is when a truck hit the overhead wires and dragged the exterior work down. Inside was a fairly recent SQ D QO panel.

I just tell people the service involves both the interior and exterior and the grounding needs to be updated at the same time. I don't really give inside or outside alone as an option except where there is a pedestal meter socket in good shape.

Dave

#90071 10/28/04 06:56 PM
S
I haven't done the job yet and there will be a permit.The inside panel is circuit breakers in good shape.But it is old style with not as much room(gutter space)and grounding is to a copper street water pipe exsisting.There is no supplementry ground rod(s)...
The code doesn't seem to address this repair.
I do feel that it would be a safe installation, but the remaining parts of the service would not be up to current code rules.

shortcircuit

#90072 10/28/04 10:26 PM
G
As an inspector I would not have a problem with simply replacing the bad exterior equipment as long as there were not any "dead rat" violations in the house.
I could even live with the single grounding point to the water pipe if it was near the exit from the house and no place for the homeowner to stick some plastic in. (assuming you live somewhere that the unions break the knees of plastic pipe salesmen). If you are in "right to work" country I probably still want to see a rod.

Greg Fretwell
#90073 10/29/04 09:36 AM
C
Short Circuit if the installation is in Mass. read rules 3, and 4 527CMR 12.00.

Charlie

#90074 11/20/04 10:20 AM
S
I finished the replacement of the outside service entrance cable and meter that was corroded for my customer this week.I left the inside panel and added a couple of ground rods. Everything passed inspection and the older couple was happy with the bill,which was about half the cost of a complete service install.

shortcircuit

#90075 12/01/04 11:57 PM
B
"I just tell people the service involves both the interior and exterior"

Dave, most of your installations must be back to back. Here in the desert most older homes have a subpanel in a closet or utility room no where near the service entrance. With most upgrades, we use a meter combo and just connect up the old subpanel feeders. Then any new circuits are run from the new combo. Sometimes, if the subpanel is not up to par, we will extend all the circuits to the outdoor combo. Course we got no snow!
I was so small when I left Crystal Lake my only electrical experience was cutting a cord off an old clock my Ma threw out, then plugging it in. I don't remember what our service even looked like.

Link Copied to Clipboard