ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89665 10/12/04 05:23 PM
M
Hi,
if you run two grounds to an IG outlet the IG ground connects to the yolk/strap of the recept....right? egc connects to the box...right?

so do i not need an insulating material between the yolk of the recpt and the metal box to isolate these two systems?

i almost feel guilty getting all this free advice!

thanks for any replies.

-regards

Mustang

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
Mustang, An IG rect already has the yoke insulated from the the IG ground terminal.

Al

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Your going to find that you do not have any continuity between the ground screw and the strap on a IG receptacle.

I
Mustang

Do you mind if I ask where the IG originates from?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
Mustang, you are correct about the 2 ground conductors. The IG ground connects to the ground terminal on the rect. The egc connects to the box. Like kentvw said there is no continuity between yoke/strap and rect ground terminal. Do not insulate the yoke from your metal box. A true IG rect already isolates the 2 grounds.

Al

M
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I thought that an IG recept came with an insulating spacer attached to each screw..

The IG circuit originates from a IG terminal that is bonded to the neutral at the service Main OCPD..

I appreciate the professional replies.

Sincerely

Mustang

I
The IG circuit originates from a IG terminal that is bonded to the neutral at the service Main OCPD.

Great, I only asked because it sounded like you where unfamiliar with IGs and many people think think an IG must run to a separate ground rod that is isolated from the buildings grounding electrode system.

Do not be offended, being unfamiliar with something has nothing to do with your abilities. [Linked Image]

I am very unfamiliar with hazardous locations, but IGs I work with all the time. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
M
Hi,
No offense taken. I have been in the trade 28 years and most of my experience is heavy industrial working around gas turbines and fossil fuel plants.

I am pretty good across the board but I do know everything. I do not mind asking a question if I do not know or if I am not sure.

I used to do a lot of commercial work but it has been a long time.

The electrical trade is about the broadest field there is.

I appreciate the comments and the way they are worded...i have been on jobs where if you did not know how to bend a 4 point saddle or a rolling offset you were considered a romex ranger...i can hold my own in both arenas pretty well. I have run a lot of pipe and i have jerked a lot of romex too!

The guy who claims to know it all is the guy to watch out for!

One thing for sure...you can always count on the expertise, knowledge and experience that is demonstrated on a daily basis on this forum..

I use the forum all the time to verify drawings, field conditions, or when i am planning a job or if i am just stumped..

You never know what is going to come up!

thanks again,

Mustang

T
twh Offline
I thought that an IG recept came with an insulating spacer attached to each screw
I saw that style of isolation many years ago. More common, I think, is a yoke isolated from the receptacle.

M
so now an isolated ground type recept. has no continuity between the yolk and the IGC?

thats interesting..i will have to take a look at one of them.

it only makes sense since the device is isolating the ground from the other grounded components.

they both have the same potential though since they are bonded at the Main OCPD.

i have seen so-called IG systems that were not connected correctly.

how do you tell if there is another connection to the IG ckt?

are the benefits of an IG to reduce the interference to electronic equipment?

they seem to be called for in commercial and medical facilities.

does the code require an IG recept or ckt anywhere?

thanks for the comments

regards

mustang

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard