ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#89438 10/05/04 12:25 AM
B
And while we're on the subject, is everyone else paying around $9.00 each for GFCI 15 amp receptacles? I sure would like to find them a little less expensive.
By the way, daylight savings day is recommended to change the smoke batteries, why not test the GFCI,s too?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89439 10/08/04 06:52 PM
W
I had an interesting service call recently. The complaint was no power at the receptacle in bathroom 2. I started there. While I was pulling that GFCI out the homeowner said that the outside receptacle was out also. I went there and found no power in or out. I checked the breakers. They were all on. I read the schedule on the panel and it had breaker 18 marked as "Bathroom GFCI and outside receptacle" So, I went to bath 1 and there was power at the GFCI. I tried to trip it with the test button, but it seemed to already be tripped!!! I pulled it out of the box and found power on the line side, but not on the load side!!! The outside receptacle and second bath were on the load side of it, something had tripped it, the load side shut off, but the receptacles in the GFCI were hot!!!!! I have never seen this before. I replaced the GFCI and solved the problem. In the process, I found numerous other problems. This was in a moblie home and the manufacturer had used the type of receptacles that don't need a box. When the place was remodeled, a lot of wiring was done by unqualified persons. They replaced the mobile home type receptacles with standard ones without bothering to use a box! They were screwed to the wall through the little rings/washers on the straps, just barely holding on. The homeowner said "oh, by the way, can you tell me why we have to hold the receptacles in the wall when we unplug stuff???) (These things always happen when I don't have my camera with me.) While we are on the subject, I require my guys to check all GFCIs on every service call, no matter what the complaint is. It is a good way to get additional work, improve safety, and it lets the customer know that you care. No one has ever refused to let us replace a GFCI that we found to be defective.
Bob

#89440 10/09/04 09:08 AM
N
Joe
I Know you are a great electrical guy.
My comments was directed to the B/S the manufacturers put out to cover thier rear ends when they know the products will not last. If a GFI or AFCI fails to shut power off when it was supposed to and the get sued, the bogus test requirement is thier cop out. They know the average home owner or building managemebty are not going to test or keep records.
For the manufacturers to now offer a new more expensive product to finally have the GFI fail in a safe mode seem to me to be just another way for them to get more money for the product they should have made in the first place.
It is one of the things that I have a very hard time explaining to customers. It is one reason why licensed electricians are percieved to be too expensive for many customers. One more reason that home owners and handymen do so much electrical work.
I have walked thru about 30 houses in the last two months and have seen all sorts of work both good and bad, but over 75% got rid of the GFI outlets and replaced it with the $0.39 regular receptacle from a hardware store. When asked why almost all said it is cheaper than a GFI and does lose power when the circuit breaker does not trip.
While testing a GFI or AFCI is a godd idea it is not going to happen in the vast majority of the time. We need products that do not rely on tests that are not going to happen.

ed
#89441 10/09/04 02:58 PM
P
There are no doubts that GFCIs are a large reason that electrocutions in this country are down.

There is no doubt that manufacturers are going to protect their butts - having the instructions to test the device has and will continue to save them in court.

So lets get down to reality and realize that homeowners and Diyers will always exist and will always complain we are too expensive - so what - it seems to me most of us are still working.

How do we mimimize homeowners and Diyers from doing electrical work? Change the laws and stiffen the consequences. Remember all laws are broken everyday and we will never stop that, but we can minimize it [Linked Image]

I have a conviction that I stand by everyday: I do not listen to complainers unless they are actively seeking to do something about the complaint!
Be proactive instead of reactive - it makes a difference.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#89442 10/09/04 05:01 PM
N
Joe,
Thanks for the GFI notice. I may just add that to my web page for customers instead of making my own. I've been procrastinating too long and should get it done.This is a notice that may bring in additional work even if we would include it with billings or advertising.
Ron

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard