ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#89358 09/11/04 03:16 AM
E
e57 Offline OP
Recently the area I work in (SF,CA) changed it's gas bonding rules. And wondering if anywhere else does it our new way?

Old way: Made Electrode/Rod and Water to Main Panel or Meter/Main combo. Bond hot, cold and gas at water heater.

New way: Made Electrode/Rod and Water to Main Panel or Meter/Main combo. Gas next nipple past gas meter to Main Panel or Meter/Main combo, or to any electrode, but not between electrodes. Bond hot and cold at water heater.

Anywhere else doing this?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89359 09/11/04 09:03 AM
I am sorry, maybe I am a bit dense this morning but I didn't understand you "new way" so let me address the bonding of the gas piping.

The gas piping is not required to be bonded unless it is expected that it may become energized. In that case, the circuit that may energize the pipe is where the bonding conductor is to be taken from. The bonding of the gas appliance is considered to be sufficient for the bonding of the gas pipe that feeds that appliance without any additional bonding. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#89360 09/11/04 01:51 PM
T
250-104(B) also says you can bond the gas piping to the service equipment, the grounded conductor at the service,the GEC, as well as the EGC of the circuit likely to energize. my question is how would you determine which circuit may rub through or accidentally come in contact with the gas pipes? wouldn't a CYA move be to just bond the the service?

#89361 09/11/04 01:59 PM
I
Why bond what is not likely to be energized?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#89362 09/11/04 02:48 PM
T
I was just in a basement last week that had an old piece of BX close to touching the gas pipes, the BX wasn't grounded, and somewhere in its length the hot had come in contact with the armor. WELL, let me tell ya, touched the armor and the sparks flew! The cable touched the pipe, grounded out, opened the OCPD. Point is, this installation was put in a LONG time ago, and at the time, there might not have been any reason to think there was going to be a short against the gas pipes. How do you determine if it will never be energized?

#89363 09/11/04 04:26 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
Here it is inspectable during every service alteration. Fail, for non-compliance of it. Always has been in my area of California, at least. The way it has been read, is that it is always been "likely to become energized".

It nice to know that iterpretation is a little different everywhere you go.

250.104(B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that may become energized shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122 using the rating of the circuit that may energize the piping system(s). The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that may energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.
FPN:Bonding all piping and metal air ducts within the premises will provide additional safety.
Commentary: Section 250.104(B) was revised for the 2002 Code to state that gas piping is treated exactly the same as all "other metal piping" systems within a building.

Mark Heller
#89364 09/11/04 04:52 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
double post

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-11-2004).]

Mark Heller
#89365 09/11/04 05:17 PM
I
How we determine it here is simple, if it is not connected to an electric appliance it is not likely to be energized.

It could be be energized but it is not likely. [Linked Image]

Each area has their own way and here we do not bond gas pipes except by the EGC of equipment connected to it.

If the service neutral opens do you really want the gas piping at an elevated voltage, subjecting gas workers to a shock?

Another question:

Why do you suppose the NEC even put the words "may become energized" in this section if they meant all metal piping systems must always be bonded?

To each their own. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-11-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#89366 09/11/04 05:56 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
Personally, I find it a real pain in the end. As now we have to find a path to the otherside of a building to do it sometimes. But would fail inspections for it otherwise. (Although California, and SF, ignore this part: "The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that may energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means.")

Mark Heller
#89367 09/11/04 07:06 PM
C
In California we are using the 2001 CEC which is based on the 1999 NEC. 250-104(b) says that the interior metal gas piping must be bonded to the grounding electrode system. It doesn’t say anything about likely to become energized.

For many years every jurisdiction I have worked in except San Jose has required a bonding jumper between the hot, cold and gas pipes at the water heater. If you tell the inspector that the NEC permits the EGC of the appliances likely to energize the piping to serve as the bonding jumper he or she will tell you they still want the jumper at the heater. I have spent too much time arguing with inspectors over this issue and have decided to install the jumper for them. Now that we are on the 99 NEC I don’t have much of an argument but since I haven’t run across any inspectors that will not permit this jumper to be at the water heater I keep my mouth shut. Mark has finally run across some inspectors that realized what the 99 NEC requires.

Curt

Curt Swartz
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard