ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#89246 09/09/04 08:06 AM
G
Point me to a place in article 250 that says a water pipe is an acceptible equipment grounding path.

A ferrite bead makes a choke out of a signal cable that will provide an impedance to common mode transients. The impedance on signal itself will cancel in the ferrite since the out and in follow the same path in opposite directions. That is the heavy thing on a printer cable.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89247 09/09/04 09:42 AM
E
e57 Offline
The exception immediately following 250.52A(1).

And, before the wide PVC, much to the dismay of those old-school plumbers, (and many electricians too.)a ground wasconsidered any cold water anywhere.
For instance the electrical service of my home is grounded to the 1/2" hose bib at the furthest point from the waters entry to the building. When it was done, that was acceptable. When I do the service over again, that will change! As do codes change...

Many of the burgler alarm guys here done ground at all! The only external metal part in the whole system is the can its in, after a protected and list class 2 LV transformer, they probhably dont feel they need to... I'm not sure if it's an article 250 issue at all really. So I would assume manufacture instuctions on this unit may surfice.

That is why we're discussing this right?

Thanks for the ferrite bead thing.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-09-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#89248 09/09/04 11:12 AM
Administrator
(posted for kentvw)
I think it is common for these less than 50 volt panels to offer instruction to bond to the cold water pipe. Hope you all are able to enlarge the photo but note #1 says "Connect to a grounded cold water pipe, 16 ga At 15 feet." I think it is worthwhile to take a look at 250.20 (A) for systems operating at less than 50 volts.

The code also gives an option to "ground" one side of a control transformer............. So what governs how we do that?................

- kentvw
See Instructions >> here

#89249 09/09/04 05:03 PM
I
e57
The exception immediately following 250.52A(1).

That exception does allows making the GEC connection to the metal water pipe at distances greater than 5' from the point of entrance.

I do not see how it applies in the least to the question in this thread.

I agree with Greg no grounding connections are to be made to a water pipe further than 5' from the point of entrance.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#89250 09/09/04 07:06 PM
T
ok shoot this one full of holes.
250-130(B), methods of equipment grounding for ungrounded systems. It says the EGC shall be made by bonding it to the grounding electrode conductor. Now, looking at the def. of Grounding electrode conductor, the last part says(paraphrasing) the condutor used the connect the EGC to grounding electrode at each service or at the SOURCE of a seperately derived system. So, I interpret that to mean the grounding electrode, or that part of the system near the Burg panel. and the plug -in transformer, which is the ungrounded seperately derived system.

[This message has been edited by trekkie76 (edited 09-09-2004).]

#89251 09/09/04 08:16 PM
E
e57 Offline
iwire,
gfretwell asked, "Point me to a place in article 250 that says a water pipe is an acceptible equipment grounding path."

Exception: In industrial and commercial buildings or structures where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation, interior metal water piping located more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be permitted as a part of the grounding electrode system or as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system, provided that the entire length, other than short sections passing perpendicular through walls, floors, or ceilings, of the interior metal water pipe that is being used for the conductor is exposed.
I realize it's a long way off, but that did sound like a water pipe used as a grounding path?(And no, I wasn't trying to pick a bone, so to speak.)But like I said, before historicaly, and not too long ago, until it changed, and in the many existing installations out there, a cold water pipe has been considered a ground path. Maybe the instructions posted on the link above, haven't caught up to current code. Or maybe, I'm starting to think, that the installation of this ground is outside of the NEC all together???? (Although note 6 on that diagram says it is.) Becomes part of listed equipment past the plug in transformer?????

Anyway, there seems to be some disagreement as to the answer to shortciruit's original questions. As the Code isn't clear enough to convince 8 well qualified persons here on the absolute correct answer to this. We might need to vote on it, if we could figure out what to vote for... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#89252 09/09/04 09:49 PM
H
I still stand by the fact that it is only a 12v system... I think I must agree with what you said in your 3rd post, that the ground is to clear any static off the board or to look for ground faults on field wiring.

The fact that it is 12v or even no volts has nothing to do with it nor does "static on the board" which is ridiculous.

The ground is necessary because there is premises wiring and devices connected to the system. Without a ground this wiring and consequently anything connected to it could become energized and not trip the OCPD.

Nothing new here- this is the same reason we bond water piping, building steel etc. The same rules apply.

-Hal

#89253 09/10/04 12:28 AM
G
You are talking about an article that refers to bonding the electrode system. I specifically said "equipment grounding path" which is what we are talking about.
Why don't you just run a wire over to the EGC in the box feeding the transformer and be undisputably legal?

Greg Fretwell
#89254 09/10/04 05:47 PM
T
If the manufacturer sent this product to UL for listing, wouldn't they pick up on the grounding issues?? the Instructions MUST go with the product.

#89255 09/10/04 07:58 PM
H
Good question. I'm not sure if the testing labs look at the instructions at all.

-Hal

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard