ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89219 09/07/04 11:47 PM
C
cgw Offline OP
Is there any code or proposed code that requires that abandoned tel/data cable or romex be removed in areas such as above a ceiling or in walls?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89220 09/08/04 12:48 AM
G
Short answer, pull them out if you can.

The requirement to remove abandoned cables is all over the place in the NEC

372.13 Discontinued Outlets.
When an outlet is abandoned, discontinued, or removed, the sections of circuit conductors supplying the outlet shall be removed from the raceway. No splices or reinsulated conductors, such as would be the case of abandoned outlets on loop wiring, shall be allowed in raceways.
(374.7 & 390.7 have the same language)

640.3 Locations and Other Articles.
Circuits and equipment shall comply with 640.3(A) through (L), as applicable.
(A) Spread of Fire or Products of Combustion. The accessible portion of abandoned audio distribution cables shall not be permitted to remain. See 300.21.

645.5(D)(6) Abandoned cables shall not be permitted to remain unless contained in metal raceways.

725.3(B)Spread of Fire or Products of Combustion. Section 300.21. The accessible portion of abandoned Class 2, Class 3, and PLTC cables shall not be permitted to remain.

725.61(A) ... Abandoned cables shall not be permitted to remain...

... and about a dozen more places.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 09-08-2004).]

Greg Fretwell
#89221 09/08/04 07:11 AM
R
All of the requirements to remove cables are in the low voltage or speciality articles(underfloor raceways). In general the NEC does not require the removal of abandonded cables.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#89222 09/08/04 01:42 PM
G
You are not required to tear up the building to remove abandoned cables but if you can get them out (read:"accessible") you are supposed to.
If you tag them "spare", "reserved for future use" or words to that effect they can stay.
That is a loophole you can drive Michael Moore's butt through

Greg Fretwell
#89223 09/08/04 06:51 PM
C
cgw Offline OP
Tel/data cables abandoned above the ceiling is a very common situation. I am sure the next guy to run wiring would be very happy if the code were strictly complied with in this case.

A different situation:
We have a floor of a building that is mostly open but was finished with drywall (walls and ceiling). There are several ceiling light outlets and switches (on columns that were finished with drywall). The circuits go to load centers that agian were recessed in drywall.
The space will be built out with some partitions and drop lay-in ceilings. I want to remove the light fixtures and switches, cover the boxes and disconnect the load centers. All new wiring will be run above the new lay-in ceilings with a new panelboard.
Basically the existing electric will be disconnected and abandoned.

#89224 09/08/04 10:39 PM
G
The intent of all of the 2002 changes in reference to abandoned cables basically say remove all you can. If that means cutting them off where they enter the wall that is what I would do. Certainly anything above a T bar ceiling should go if you don't have a reasonable expectation that they could be reused. Even then I would roll them up and stash them near the wall they come out of to clear the way for the next guy.
I came here from the computer business and one of the most frustrating problems we had was abandoned cables under the floor.

Greg Fretwell
#89225 09/11/04 08:51 AM
A proposal was made by Joe Tedesco and was defeated in the panel meetings and again defeated on appeal by the Standards Council. It is good to remove the abandoned circuits but it is not required. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy

Link Copied to Clipboard