ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
If you cant use no hubs, what do you use?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
there is no SLACK at any of the outlets..you need at least 6" loop outside each box for NM cable..if you pull it tight into the box..you do not leave any saviour for yourself or the next guy..

the installation needs some stackers..and it would look better..lot of work there keeping all those cables lined up..

i do not wire any house where i do not leave slack OUTSIDE the box..

i think it is required in the new code..

just my two cents..

very neat looking..

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-09-2004).]

C
mustang,

you need at least 6" loop outside each box for NM cable..

i think it is required in the new code..

There are no code requirements for what you describe. They are personal preferences, and as such are not required by the NEC.

Peter

Peter
M
ct,
i will look up the article for you and post it here..
the article is similar to 334.30 (C)..if anybody else knows about this please respond..

i always leave about 6" of free cable OUTSIDE the box so that you can pull extra cable in if you need to..am i the only one who does this?

-regards

mustang

regards

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-10-2004).]

C
Mustang,

Again, there is nothing in Article 334 that requires this.

All the code says is that NM must be supported within 12" of every box (334.30), and within 8" of every single gang non metallic box. (314.17 (C) Exception)

In fact, if your loop is longer than 8" with single gang boxes, you have a violation of 314.17 (C) Exception.

Peter

Peter
M
ct,
i guess you are the authority on it but i am pretty sure i saw it in the code...maybe it was an older edition..

i do not see where having a 6-8 inch loop is a violation of any kind..the cable can be stapled correctly and still have a loop..i use stackers whenever there are more than two cables anymore...i do not do the line-em up across the side of the stud method as seen in the photos..i am not putting down the work but i have never seen two electricians do the same job the same way..

i prefer to leave a little slack on the outside of the box..it looks better and it serves a purpose..when you pull romex tight into a box it is a BAD installation in my book..i used to do it that way back in the late seventies and on through the late eighties..but experience and the code guided me to what i do now..

i am pretty sure there is a rule about how much extra cable must be left outside the box..we all know the 6" free wire rule for residential..but i am not talkin about that..

the better job is one with slack..

thanks for the replies

-regards

mustang

R
What are these stackers you speak of? By stacker, are you referring to the NM that is stacked on top of each other and held in place by longer staples, or is a stacker a seperate item used to hold the NM?

Yes, it is a nice looking job. I would imagine the GC knows the EC, and knows his quality work, because there is no way an EC could bid in for the extra time involved in running that clean installation, and still get the job. That is where reputation wins the job, and not the price. I'm still in the residential remodel stage of my freshly started business. It's pretty tough convincing these homeowners that hiring the cheapest guy is NOT the best thing to do.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 09-10-2004).]

I
The stacker's are made by many
manufactures and space the cables
out from the studs.

Mustang Peter (CT Wireman) is
correct there is nothing in the
NEC about leaving slack outside the
box. That is not to say you may not
have a local code about this.

I have to ask how you can leave any
usable slack and meet the
requirements of 334.30

334.30 Securing and Supporting.
Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (41/2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every cabinet, box, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
I can only find 1 reference to the loop of wire for NM. 334-30(C). It requires 12 in. loopor 6 in. of cable end available on the interior side of the finished wall for replacement. BUT...
It deals with devices without a seperate box. So, it doesn't help with normal wiring methods used in most residential applications. I don't see where there is(or ever) was a requirement for the loop.

R
Why would you want to space NM from the stud? It's not to protect against the stray nail or sheetrock screw that misses the stud is it?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard