ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8910 04/09/02 07:33 AM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Do you make your (larger) terminations straight into the lugs, or make large loops (Mickey Mouse Ears)?
Why?

#8911 04/09/02 05:08 PM
D
I use the loop (mickey mouse ears) mainly for two reasons. One, larger conductors are harder to get bent around and go into a lug straight on after cutting to length, if they are to go straight in from opening to lug. Second, larger conductors in my opinion ( if not properly torqued) tend to become loose at the lug easier than smaller conductors and with loops there might be a chance to save wire, time and of course cost, when you need to cut back on the conductor after it became damaged from the heat at the lug.
Just my idea.
Dan

#8912 04/09/02 07:46 PM
S
There's been some interesting chat about this , drifting off into the EE land, loops vs. an S ...if I remember the S's fared better, so I've been an S man since.

#8913 04/09/02 09:13 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
How about bending radii? Is a loop more acceptable than an S?

#8914 04/09/02 11:34 PM
My wife goes to Disney World at least once a year. I try to stay out of that place. As for electrical work, I try to stay away from anything that's "Mickey Mouse", and that includes Old Mickey's ears. Let's face it. Anything with ears that big is going to give you trouble. Think about it, ear infections, ear mites, wax build up, etc, etc, etc.
So, The Watt Doctor's perscription for problems with mouse ears is "Decon", but if you have problems with terminations notice the following:
1. Form the wire in the space provided (panel, switchgear, disconnect, etc) in neat and workman like manner.
2. Torque mechanical lugs to manufacturer's specs.
3. Don't use mechanical lugs. Go buy the crimp on (compression) type.
I hope that all who read this realize that it's just my opinion, and if you have a method that works, don't stop on my account. I would, on larger wire, begin to question the bending radius of the wire. I would also begin to wonder about the effects of those types of bends in a fault situation.

Zoological Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#8915 04/11/02 03:25 PM
G
Okay, Watt Doctor.
You opened the door for discussion of "the effects of those types of bends in a fault situation" so lets hear your prognosis. This was a controversial thread on another forum.

#8916 04/14/02 01:47 AM
Mr. Powell,
I'm sure that it will, or would, raise as much of a fuss on this forum as it did on the other. Therefore, I respectfully request that you post a link to the other thead, and after I read it, I may very well flame myself. [Linked Image]

Respectfully,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#8917 04/17/02 04:39 PM
G
Doc,
I don't remember exactly where and when the discussion was. Think it was on IAEI the middle of last year. I haven't been to that site in a good while. Think they changed format and required new registration so I dropped out. Since no injuries or deaths have been attributed to mickey mouse ears a discussion may not be worth the emotional turmoil.

#8918 04/17/02 05:52 PM
Emotional turmoil [Linked Image]....."Roger that, Mr. Powell"
I will say, that I read, and post on this forum first, and foremost to have fun. Second, and third reasons, in no particular order, to learn, and as some people in my neck of the woods might say, "To learn others."
I will submit, or admit that my responce to your "open door" post was, in all truth, a "cop out". The fact is, I don't like to argue on these forums (though I have been known to vent from time to time).
Instead of making vague references to bending radius, and fault current, I should have said, "Hey guys, I just don't like it. To me, it doesn't look good." I must say, "I think my "vague references" can be argued."
You're a gentleman, Mr. Powell, and best regards to you and yours.

Keeping the door open, so to speak, [Linked Image]
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Link Copied to Clipboard