ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 349 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Sorry I have not gotten back to this.

by tdhorne
In order to use a back fed breaker as the required building disconnecting means the panel must be listed as service equipment with a back fed breaker.

Tom I am not deputing that but what article requires that? 110.3(B)?

Is there a panel that can not be backfed and why?

by Buck33k
It is true that you can forget about the backfed main with 6 breakers or less but only if it is not a lighting and appliance branch circuit panel board. 408.16(A)

Buck I do not see how this changes anything, the overcurrent protection can be (and usually is) taken care of at the panel the feed originates from.

shortcircuit What I was trying to get at but was in to much of a hurry to get across before.

1)You could install a main breaker panel.

2)You could backfed a main lug panel, with a secured breaker and following Tom's post.

3)If you can live with 6 circuits or less you can install a main lug panel, fed it from the lugs and use the 6 or less breakers as the disconnecting means. They will not have to be secured because they are not back fed.

Remember the 225.31 does not require the panel to be shut down only the conductors.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Thanx for your interpertations everyone...they have all shed light on the issue.
So if the 20 circuit panel is installed with only 6 branch circuit overcurrent devices, it does'nt require a main disconnect...untill the next electrician comes along and wants to add another circuit, then he must install a main breaker to comply with 225.31

I
Yes that is correct looking at it from just a code standpoint you can install the 20 circuit panel with only 6 breakers and be code compliant.

It would be up to the next person not to violate the code.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
G
I respectfully disagree with the blanket statment of allowing 6 mains in this panel. We need to look at 408.14(A) and 408.16(A) and decide if we are limited to a maximum of 2 mains.

George Little
G
Sorry -Meant to include 408.14, which is the classification of panels.https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/icons/icon12.gif

George Little
C
George

I disagree. The overcurrent protection of this panel is the feeder breaker at the house. The overcurrent protection is permitted to be in the panel or anywhere on the supply side of the panel. The only issue here is the number of disconnects permitted. As the others have said you can not have more that 6 breakers in this panel unless a main breaker or other disconnect is installed. The disconnect could be a non-fused switch.

Curt

Curt Swartz
B
Thats where I went wrong in my post. The garage is fed from the house with OCP. If Shortcircuits garage had its own service and the six breakers were the only disconnect, then 408.16(B) would apply. Hope I got it right this time!

G
Curt- Your correct. I owe you a donut and coffee. Next time your in a Krispy Kreme have one on me. :-)
I was thinking along the lines of providing overcurrent protection for the panel.

George Little
D
WARNING - I don't have my Code with me, so I can't look this up myself. Apologies in advance for possible idiot factor.

The garage isn't operating under independent service... it's being fed from an OCP inside the house.

With one throw of the hand, you can D/C everything by turning the 60A in the house off, correct? (and secure by LOTO since no line-of-sight if needed)

So why would this still fall under the "6-throw" limit, if _not_ fed by a service separate fro the house?

I
Doug I like the clear warning. [Linked Image]

This application is covered in Article 225 Outside Branch Circuits and Feeders.

225.31 is the section that requires a disconnect and 225.32 tells us where the disconnect has to be. The disconnecting means shall be either inside or outside at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. There are also some exceptions but they are not applicable to a detached garage.

225.33 limits us to not more than six switches or six circuit breakers mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard as the disconnecting means.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard