ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88603 06/30/04 02:02 PM
E
It has been a while since the technical data on AFCIs has been summarized.

In warming up to the 2005 NEC proposal deadline in October 2002, this Forum pulled together a lot of data, but surprisingly little technical data for specific models of AFCIs currently being manufactured for sale and installation.

What information has been released in the last two years?

Al Hildenbrand
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

First, I want to apologize for loosing it with Joe and causing the removal of the previous thread. [Linked Image]

I do not know where to get technical data on the individual AFCIs. I do know that the only basic advantage that an AFCI has over a standard circuit breaker is the "GFI" portion of the circuitry. The GFI portion is set at 30 to 50 mA depending on the manufacturer and it will not start to react to anything until the load current exceeds 75 amperes. UL has the testing requirements that all the standard AFCIs must meet. The circuitry is different for each manufacturer. If you are looking for something from the individual manufacturers, I doubt it will be available.

I don't think any new information has been made available in the last couple of years. I really expect to see a lot of information about the combination type as time passes. [Linked Image]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
Charlie,

You did not cause removal of anything. It was one of those threads that was going down the wrong road from early on.

Bill

Bill
E
No Worries, CharlieE.

The absense of new technical information concerns me.

I have a 3" binder on the shelf here that is full of what I could glean about AFCIs from the collective wisdom and knowledge of the Forum contributors and other parties. I haven't had anything to add to the folder since December, 2002.

Al Hildenbrand
ElectricAL:

Here is a link to some AFCI information on the UL site:
http://www.ul.com/regulators/afci/

I was unable to find any dates later than January 2002.

I will search for more.

Was there anything in the NFPA transcript for the adoption of the 2005 NEC?

Charlie

I see where the meeting ended at 8 PM, that was a long day.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
Well UL is not coming off the good info for free.

From: Diane.Lively@us.ul.com [maimailto:diane.Lively@us.ul.com] On Behalf Of CustomerService.NBK@us.ul.com
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 4:56 PM
To: -------------------.com
Subject: Re: Database Directory Assistance Form SR168502 Diane Lively

Dear Mr. Deas,

Thank you for contacting Underwriters Laboratories. The standard for "basic standard used to investigate AFCI's" is UL1699.
(I already knew that [Linked Image] ) You can purchase this standard by contacting Comm2000 by email at sales@comm-2000.com or by phone at 1-888-853-3503.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Diane Lively
Customer Service Professional
Northbrook Division
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
333 Pfingsten Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
Ph 877 UL HELPS (854-3577) Ext. 44873
Fax 847-407-1395
E-mail - customerservice.NBK@us.ul.com

"WORKING FOR A SAFER WORLD"

***UL now has Customer Service Professionals to handle all your nontechnical matters and deliver fast, efficient service to meet your needs. The Customer Service Professionals can be reached from 7 am - 6 pm CST, Monday - Friday; in the US at 1-877-UL HELPS (1-877-854-3577) or worldwide at CustomerService.NBK@us.ul.com or via Fax 847-407-1395***

This was my request

05/11/2004 09:06 AM

To: customerservice.nbk@us.ul.com
cc:
Subject: Database Directory Assistance Form

It was submitted on 05/11/04.
Name: Roger Deas
Title: Project Manager
Organization: Hayes and Lunsford Electric
Address: 226 Hilliard Ave
City: Asheville
State: NC
Postal Code: 28801

How do I find Category UL 1649 "basic standard used to investigate AFCI's" I have searched and can not find this information.

I have not purchased this yet.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-30-2004).]

E
Roger,

One copy of UL1699 in Adobe Reader file format (.pdf) will cost $420.00. [Linked Image]

Al Hildenbrand
UL 1699 http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/1699.html

1 Scope

1.1 The requirements of this Standard cover arc-fault circuit-interrupters (AFCIs) of the branch/feeder, outlet circuit, portable, and cord type intended for use in dwelling units. These devices are intended to mitigate the effects of arcing faults that may pose a risk of fire ignition under certain conditions if the arcing persists.

1.1.1 The requirements of this Standard also cover Leakage-Current Detector-Interrupters (LCDIs), which are not prohibited from being provided with cord sets or power-supply cords. These devices are intended to sense leakage currents flowing between or from the conductors of a cord set and interrupt the circuit at a predetermined level of leakage current.

1.1.1 added effective July 15, 2004
1.2 These devices have a maximum rating of 20 A and are intended for use in 120-V ac, 60-HZ circuits.

1.3 These devices are not intended to detect glowing connections.

1.4 In these requirements the term device is used generically to apply to all of the devices covered by these requirements and is modified when the requirement does not apply to all types.

1.5 An AFCI that is also intended to perform other functions, such as overcurrent protection, ground-fault circuit-interruption, surge suppression, any other similar functions, or any combination thereof, shall comply additionally with the requirements of the applicable Standard or Standards that cover devices that provide those functions.

1.6 Deleted and Relocated to Foreword July 15, 2002

1.6 revised July 15, 2002

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
E
December 19, 2003 National Association of Homebuilders report by Robert Huddleston, Jr., PE, titled:
[i][b]The Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter - Why We Have a Problem With It[/b][/i]

Al Hildenbrand
R
Hello Al,
One copy of UL1699 in Adobe Reader file format (.pdf) will cost $420.00.

At that price I'll bet you'll be purchasing a few for gifts. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I couldn't get your link "The Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter - Why We Have a Problem With It" to open but I've been having other internet or dial up problems too.

Roger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard