ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88492 06/11/04 07:30 PM
C
ccdave Offline OP
Electrical inspectors:
are you required to check the submittals on commer jobs? do you require "RFI's" if its differant than what is on the approved plans.
thanks --dave

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#88493 06/11/04 08:59 PM
R
Inspectors have no business checking the plans and specs, that is the job of the owner or his represenitive. The inspector can only enforce the legally adopted code.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#88494 06/11/04 11:23 PM
G
ccdave ---

I would disagree with Don.

At permit time the plans are checked for code compliance.

At inspection time the work is checked for compliance with the plans.

#88495 06/12/04 04:33 PM
N
I agree with Don. the inspector can only enforce what has been legally adopted in the area by the appropate town/county council or the state leglislature. If the owner wants inspections to the plans and specs. then he will have the architect/engineer do those inspection as part of the owners acceptance inspection. It is not the electrical inspectors job to enforce contract requirements. The electrical inspectors job is to enforce the code.

ed
#88496 06/12/04 05:27 PM
R
George,
At inspection time the work is checked for compliance with the plans.
The work should only be inspected for compliance with the code. Plans and specs are not legally enforcable by the inspector. On the legally adopted code rules can be inforced by the inspector. If the plans called for more recptacles than called for by the code, the inspector can't require any more receptacles than the code requires. If the specs call for a very expensive light fixture and cheap one is intalled, the inspector cannot not red tag the cheap fixture if it is code complaint.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#88497 06/12/04 06:16 PM
V
In Michigan "Plan Reviews" are required for buildings over 3500 square foot.

#88498 06/13/04 01:47 PM
G
I guess that structural code requirements are more "formal" than electrical code requirements.

You submit plans that show the specie/grade of materials along with the layout and the fasteners to as much detail as desired.

The AHJ looks at the plans at permit time and issues a permit to build to those plans. The inspector compares the plans to the actual structure and decides how he wants deviations from the plans handled - change the plans, change the structure, or ignore the differences.

I understand that most of the time electrical plans are not submitted and when they are they are not as detailed as structural plans.

It seems reasonable that when detailed electrical plans are submitted that it is the obligation of the inspector to ensure that the permited work was done as permitted.

I guess the simplest example is if the permitted work indicated wires in conduit and the finished work was NM cables. Even where both are allowed, only one was permitted.

I would have problems with that.

#88499 06/13/04 02:16 PM
R
George,
I would have problems if an inspector red tagged a code compliant NM job because the specs called for conduit. That is not the business of the inspector. He has no legal right to red tag a code compliant job. He can only enforce the law and the law is the legally adopted code and any local amendments. As far as the structural design, a change in materials, fastening devices, or design may very well be a violation of the structural building code. The change may result in a structure that is not code compliant and does not have the required strength, stiffness or flexibility.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#88500 06/13/04 03:14 PM
"If required .... " NEC 2002

215.5 Diagrams of Feeders.
If required by the authority having jurisdiction, a diagram showing feeder details shall be provided prior to the installation of the feeders.

Such a diagram shall show the area in square feet of the building or other structure supplied by each feeder, the total computed load before applying demand factors, the demand factors used, the computed load after applying demand factors, and the size and type of conductors to be used.

I wonder how this would fit into the discussion here?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#88501 06/13/04 04:52 PM
E
The building code requires the electrical inspector (or building inspector) to check the plans and specs of a job prior to issuing the permit. At the time of inspection, he will check the installation for code compliance AND compliance with the plans and specs. If there are any differences, then a good inspector will want the RFIs, and change order submittals to slip into the file as well.
On small jobs (residential) this is often waived, which is allowed by the building code.

The NEC is only a small part of the building code. Compliance with all parts is required.

It is true that only the codes adopted by your town/county/state will be law. Most places have adopted the ICC family of model codes, which reference the NEC for electrical.

Earl

Earl
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard