ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
How about the use of the green screw that is usually supplied with the green pigtail wire into the threaded hole originally meant for a clamp? But without the clamp. Older boxes don't have a dedicated ground threaded hole and I've used the unused hole meant for a clamp screw for the ground. The clamp screw and the ground screw are the same size and thread.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Hey on the tail of this one. Joe seems kinda one track minded to me, my or highway.I agree with Don as long as the box is properly grounded with a treaded hole clamp removed with no label grd why fail the job. The main thing is actually the box is properly grounded according to the rules we follow.

Joe T,
The 4S (or 1900) boxes I get from my wholesale house do not have any sort of marking around the threaded 10/32 hole in them... & they are UL Listed.. As far as this falling under 110.3(B) The same box with or without the GR or GND stamp can be found by different manufacturers.. (Raco, I believe has the GR mark, the ones I use are Bowers & they dont).. I don't think this marking is integral to the "listing" of the box or else they'd all have it!..

On another note, Here's a question I asked in another thread... Joe, Please look at the following photo and tell me if I should be cited under 110.3(B) for mounting this outlet "ground-down"

[Linked Image]

The word "TOP" appearing here I believe is just as integral to a listing as the "GR" mark in a metal box [Linked Image]

JMHO

-Randy

PS.. Photo from: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000527.html

Edited to add the above link

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 05-25-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard