ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
I think these article numbers prohibit the use of a cable clamp as a ground and unused cable openings as well as require workmanlike installations using parts approved for the purpose.

Please see the following in the latest NEC;

regards

greg

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Greg,
No one said that the cable clamp could be used to connect the EGC to the box. I and others said that the cable clamp screw with the clamp removed could be used for that purpose.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Not permitted! Absolutely not!

I never would allow the cable clamp threaded hole to be used for the termination of the EGC or EBJ!

Listed products identify that hole in metal boxes with "GR" or "GRND" and one regular reference is 110.3(B)!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Joe, the intent is to be sure that at least two threads are fully engaged. In the case of standard boxes, it makes no difference which hole is used as long as it used for no other purpose (you will find nothing in the Code or the UL White Book that prohibits this practice). Additionally, the screw from the clamp may be used if the clamp is removed. [Linked Image]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
Charlie:

I disagree, if the "GR" or "GRND" is engraved on the box, that is a simple instruction, besides the use of the clamp hole is going to be a problem, especially when the addition of another circuit may be considered when the box is of adequate size.

Intent is not what this is about, you know what you can find when Intent is discussed at a CMP meeting, a lot of wasted time.

Are you currenly involved in the inspection process? I thought I saw where you were?

I
Joe so you would fail this based on 110.3(B)?

So using a nut and bolt or a ground clip to terminate the grounding conductor would also be a violation?

This is the type of enforcement that makes people avoid inspections.

The clamp machine screw can (minus the clamp) can safely perform the function of grounding the box.

Being forced to change this by an inspector would only be for the inspectors amusement as it certainly is not a NEC violation.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Joe so you would fail this based on 110.3(B)?
So using a nut and bolt or a ground clip to terminate the grounding conductor would also be a violation?

This is the type of enforcement that makes people avoid inspections.

The clamp machine screw can (minus the clamp) can safely perform the function of grounding the box.

Being forced to change this by an inspector would only be for the inspectors amusement as it certainly is not a NEC violation.

We are discussing the hole for the clamp screw! The use of a bolt and nut or a "LISTED" clip is acceptable.

When you install cables, such as MC or AC under a clamp and terminate the EBJ (the pigtail) where do you terminate it?

If the box has the threaded hole, that's where it should be.

If there was an accident, you would not be able to satisfy the judge and jury that it was OK because you said so.

Any inspector who allows this is not doing their job.

Again, put the inspector's hat on for a while!

R
Joe,
Any inspector who allows this is not doing their job.
As you so eloquently said it in the other thread on this same subject.

Hogwash!!

Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 05-12-2004).]

Don(resqcapt19)
E
Of all the things for an inspector to bitch about this would not even be on my list.

E
I checked some boxes today and none were marked "GR". After reading all the posts about this, I used the clamp screw In the clamp screw hole. [Linked Image] Clamp removed of course.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 05-13-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard