ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Do you make sure that all circuits and circuit modifications are legibly identified as to their purpose or use on a circuit directory that is located on the face or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboard, and at each switch on a switchboard? 408.4

Do you also make sure 110.22 is complied with as well?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Joe:
Honestly, I have to say 90% on branch circuits that have been 'modified', 100% on new work, and 100% on discos & swbds.

John

John
Broom Pusher and
Yes.

In the lines of HotLine1's message, for a "minor" service type installation, I'll update the directory as to the new circuit(s) installed.

For remodels / T.I.s which result in nearly all circuits being altered, I'll print out a new, clean Directory (with a few extras - 1 blank, 1 with minimal info).

For new installs, definitely print out Directories.

At times, I'll also include a Panel Schedule for use in future load calculations, or to determine what's been designed to the circuitry at the time.
All these items - of course, are custom created databases & spreadsheets - printed from my Home based Workstations.

As to labeling Equipment / Discos / etc., if not subject to weather or "abnormal" physical influences, I'll print out Panel / Circuit information on either 5163 label stock, or using the "Brother P-Touch" label maker.
Where these labels will last 5 days max., I'll "carefully" print Panel / Circuit information using a Permanent Marker or "Paint Pen".

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
R
I always make sure that the panel schedule is marked, main disconnects also.

Got to admit on disconnects for other things like machinery, A/C units, pool pumps, or roof top stuff I haven't been requireing it.
Most of this stuff is pretty obvious as far as the disconnect goes.

E
I heard from another inspector of a guy who wrote all the information in Chinese characters. (He was of Chinese descent) the inspector made him add the English translations.

Earl
Earl:
I work PT as an AHJ (2 days), and the Twp has a very diversified ethnic population.

Yes, I had a panel marked in chineese characters, and I requested English sub-titles from the owner/contractor.

I understand that english was not the 'first' language of the occupants, but I cannot read chineese either. Although this subject could be debated at the Board of Appeals, I choose the easy way out and 'requested' the sub-titles.

John

John
Thanks for the many replies: I will bet that NFPA would have a problem with an NEC Proposal that would accommodate the language issue in your areas, can you imagine?

Earl and John: I will be the third submitter if you submit a proposal for the 2008 NEC!

By the way I am in Biloxi, Mississippi at the NEC TCC (Technical Correlating Meeting) and they are reviewing the NEC Comments and Panels Actions --- some interesting issues and information I am absorbing.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

Link Copied to Clipboard