ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Hutch Offline OP
This enquiry derives from discussions that have occurred on the Non-US forum. The NEC regulation referred to above relates to the prohibition, in dwelling units, of a >120V receptacle (I read 240V) where the plug and cord connected load is less than 1440VA or ¼ hp.

In your experience, how is this regulation applied or enforced? It has been said that the NEC ends at the receptacle, and yet the interpretation of this regulation depends on the load placed upon this outlet. At the time of inspection, say in a new house, the intended (>1440VA) load may not even be present, as the regulation does not specify that the load be fixed or stationary.

Your install (or inspection) specifies (has) one NEMA 6-20 in a living room and one above the kitchen counter. You are informed, should you ask, that they are to accommodate a portable 240V, 2200W electric oil heater and a 3kW electric hot water kettle respectively. Do you install/pass or red-ticket and if so why?

In the days (1920’s?) of double ‘T’ slot receptacles which could be wired for 120 or 240V I can understand this regulation. I furthermore understand 210-6 (a)(1) which prohibits lighting fixtures as the ES shell will be hot with 120-0-120V – but with unique NEMA plug configurations and still only 120V to ground each leg, why does this regulation exist?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
I don't see how this rule can be enforced that strictly.

Maybe there are locations where it would clearly be ridiculous for there to be a load >1440VA, but in most places if you said that the receptacle was for a 2kW portable whatever, how can anyone say it isn't?

They can't control what you actually plug into it at a later date.

R
Ron Offline
It is generally unenforcable. The only appliance I find in the kitchen that is cord and plug at >120V is the tea pots from the other side of the water.

Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard