ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I just wanted to mention that I recently heard that Murray has somehow redesigned their Panelboards and claim that other breakers tested and classified for use in the older panels can not be used in newer Murray Panels.

Has anyone else heard this?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
Hello Bill

This is a very interesting situation. I myself am a little confused over this issue, because of conflicting info that is available.
I have some info in my office, I am at home, that I will dig up later about this. I will say that I have spoke to both UL and individual manufacturers about this subject and I cannot do justice to this subject until I get the info from my office.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
R
Bill,
If Murray has redesigned the bus in their panels, then neither the listed nor classified breakers made for the older panels would be permitted to be used in the new panel. If they made a big enough change to be able to patent the new bus and breaker design, they will be able to prevent any one from making "classified" breakers that fit the new panel. I believe this is exactly what happened with the Square D QO breakers. That bus design is unique and was patented by Square D. There were no third party breakers available for that panel for many years. Now there are "classified" breakers that can be used in the Square D QO panels. I assume that this is because the patent has expired.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Pierre,

Thanks, I look forward to seeing what you have come up with on this issue, it is very confusing.

Don,

I don't know specific details but heard that an official letter/memo would be coming out from them about it.

Bill

Bill
S
breakergate again?

R
This issue of "classified breakers" is one of the reasons that I believe that 110.3(B) only applies to the information in the actual "listing and labeling" and does not include "manufacturer's instructions" as all manufacturers state that you can only use their breakers in their panels>
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Broom Pusher and
breakergate again?

Breakergate...LOL!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Here is the last memo (from 2001) that was passed around about this:

[Linked Image]

Bill
R
All of the breaker manufactures have published statements like that. Yes, they may be able to void the warranty, but that does not make the use of "classified" breakers a code violation. The "warranty" issue is a legal one, but I have been told that it can be voided if a contractor installs the classified breaker, but not if the end user of the panel installs the "classified" breaker. (is our resident attorney still around?) This is a perfect example of a "manufacturer's instruction" that 110.3(B) does not require you to follow.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
conversely FPE fires continued to have our monitoring agencies backpeddle ,despite being installed via listed instructions....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard