ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joe:
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but:

"The stands are put up early on Friday afternoon and taken down last on Saturday afternoon, 52 week a year!!"

Are you saying the structure is physically taken down, or that the products and tables are removed???

From your pics, the stand looks like a very substantial structure to be dis-assembled.

IMHO, I would request that a safer arrangement for power and lighting be installed. A "transient" market that is in the same location does not qualify for "temporary" wiring status. The vendors may be "temporary" but a "market" that is there 52 weeks a year is permanent.

I have to check with a few AHJ's in the towns that have permanent, year-round flea markets, and get some opinions.

John

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

John:

Yes they are:
http://www.boston-online.com/cityviews/haymarket.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-09-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
H
Joe,

Is there someone there who sells beef? Maybe he can throw a steak at you? Then as John said, you might make yourself a great meal! Seriously though, this temp. wiring can get out of hand. I saw a pine tree with holiday lights on it that was left uo for at least 5 years. The town owns the property and the tree and the lights. I told the town that the temp string of Christmas lights were looking a little bit frail and should be taken down. These were holiday lights and as such, they were suppose to be removed under sec. 350 (Back when I was there) of the NEC. The town still has the same string of lights on the tree, and I haven't worked for this town, since before 1998.

G
Gwz Offline
Why does almost everyone believe "any goes" for Temporary Installations"?

Please read 527.2(A) s-l-o-w-l-y.

Gwz

Joe:
OK, I guess they "take down". Based on that, a safe and Code compliant wiring method would have to be employed/designed.

Also, the lighting would need "lamp" protection to pass muster (not muenster) here in NJ. At a minimum, silicone coated, shatter resistant a-lamps, & the duct tape would have to go.

Using duct (or gaffer) tape to secure cabling for a two day use would be acceptable, providing that there was no possibility of physical damage to the cables.
Taping the fixtures together, "temp" or not would not fly!

As to the "extension cords" laying on the ground, protection from physical damage, and the use of the cords has to be addressed. GFI and twistlocks?? A "permanent" power source for the "stands" can be installed, with receptacle outlets at the "stand" locations, or EHD cords with caps layed out & PROTECTED by cable covers also would be acceptable.

Alas, the solutions are "dreams"; the answer would be "we've been doin' it like this for years!"

John

John
S
I don't quite understand why they covered the octagonal handiboxes and the fixtures with the duct tape like that.

Was it a lame attempt at water-proofing?

Anyone know how conductive that silver duct tape is? I assume it's got traces of aluminium or something in it....

I know this is not NEC related, but how smart is it to use a 200 watt lightbulb in base-up position? Those things do look like 200 watters (the ones I see usually have long necks although I once saw large 100 watt and 75 watt bulbs like that too).

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 09-14-2003).]

S
Please read 527.2(A)

please start enforcing it.....

J
Had another thought:
Treat the entire stand as though it were an appliance, and apply criteria similar to UL standards.

T
The vendor threw a potato at me...

Good thing he wasn't selling eggs...

HotLine1:

pass muster (not muenster)
Mustard?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard