ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
[Linked Image]

Does this rule in the NEC apply to an open air market?

All lamps for general illumination shall be protected from accidental contact or breakage by a suitable fixture or lampholder with a guard.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

YES!

The duct tape adds a bit of class to this quality installation.

John

John
R
Unfortunatly, I say no it doesn't. I say this because I THINK it is only in article 527 for temporary wiring. It still makes me ill to look at it though.

BTW: wasn't there a twilight zone episode where everyone's face looked like that? [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
B
A fitting omen...

[Linked Image from 64.146.180.232]

K
That's not the only violation I see there:

U. S. Department of Health and Human Services
Public Health Service
Food and Drug Administration
1997 Food Code
Functionality

6-202.11 Light Bulbs, Protective Shielding.
(A) Except as specified in ΒΆ (B) of this section, light bulbs shall be shielded, coated, or otherwise shatter-resistant in areas where there is exposed food; ...
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fc-6.html

Kale:
Thats 100% correct, and it is enforced by the Health Officers here in NJ, not the Elec AHJ's.

AS to the assertion that this is "temporary wiring", I would have to debate that. Are these stands "knock downs", or are the stands a structure that is rented by transient (or permanent) vendors??

Looking at the picture, I don't think the "temporary" argument will hold any water with me. That stand looks like it's been there for a long time.

John

John
John:

The stands are put up early on Friday afternoon and taken down last on Saturday afternoon, 52 week a year!!

Some serious problems there and the hazards are many and most of the cords were replace with 3 wire cords, some of which are run on the pavement of cobblestones.

I will look for a few other areas and send them for posting.

PS: The vendor threw a potato at me when he saw me taking the picture, and naturally his face could not be shown for good reasons, every time I pass his stand I take a magic picture again, the wires some think ar rope-x are extension cords.

Joe

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
Joe, does he throw a tuber at you every time you take a picture? If I were you, I'd pick them up....by the end of the month, you'll have enough for a good stew!!! [Linked Image]

Anyway,

Back to topic:

There's a small vegetable/fruits and dry goods store on the corner where I go to catch the train (where I frequently do some grocery shopping).

Said establishment operates 24 hours so under the awning that extends over the sidwalk, the owner has hung some zip-cord extensions and connected some plug adapters that allow you to screw in a lightbulb into a two-pin receptacle.

Each extension cord has two of these things hanging from it. The flex then loops over the horizontals supporting the tarps, knot and then plug into some wall sockets mounted above the doors to the store.

The bulbs are the high-wattage long-necked ones..(probably 100 watts) and they shine over the produce sitting in the bins in the tarp-enclosed awning.

So as you walk in at night, you're greeted with six lightbulbs dangling in front of you....

I've been living in this neighborhood (Washington Heights, NYC) for over seven years...

Been like that as far as I've known it.

P
These sort of markets seem to be full of shoddy electrical wiring, no matter where they are in the world.

There's a semi-permanent and semi-open-air market in Norwich, England. This is the biggest city in the region and the market is right in the center of the downtown area (opposite City Hall, in fact).

Some of the lash-up wiring has to be seen to be believed: Extension cords draped all over the place, duct-taped to the ground, exposed "chocolate block" connectors hanging loose from beams, and so on.

J
I would apply the NEC, but...

You do have to THINK at an application such as this. For example, consider both the temporary and "suitable for application" principles.

The portable nature of the booths, as well as public traffic, might be the basis for requiring wire supports in excess of the NEC requirements for NMC.
Traffic might justify requiring the use of twist-lock plugs where the hook-up is made.
Inspections should also target over-fusing. GFI's at the panel might also be sensible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard