ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
grouser Offline OP
Greetings from a first time poster. I would like to hear some opinions on your prefered methods for running an underground service or feeder to a subpanel such as to a pole building or other out-building. Do you prefer 3 wire or 4 wire when you have a choice? Do you use a cable assembly or run individual conductors in conduit? What type of cable or conductors? CU or AL. I hear many different arguements on this one here in central Michigan, particularly on when you need 4 wire vs. 3 wire. Thanks for any input, Ed.

Tom Offline
I prefer to use a 4 wire installation. It will remain in complince should a conductive path be established between both buildings sometime in the future.

I have rarely had to replace an underground feeder that was installed in a raceway. I have replaced or repaired quite a few direct buried cables, usually type USE, not UF. I think it usually comes down to workmanship (not nicking the insulation & making sure the first 6" of backfill is free of rocks). I'll personally stick with single conductors in a raceway.

Most folks will jump on the savings offered by Aluminum. Since I'm the one doing the pulling, I like it also. Workmanship is very important with Aluminum conductors. I haven't had any failures that I know about.

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 03-26-2002).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
R
What size feeders are you talking about?
I believe it is preferrable to run 4 wires and use a raceway. Just because something is acceptable, doesn't mean it is good design for considerations of maintenance and reliability.

G
grouser Offline OP
Feeders would be sized for say a 60A. to 150A.load center or anything in between.

R
At that size, unless your running hundreds of feet, I can't think of any compelling reason, cost-wise, not to use 4 copper conductors in a raceway (possibly even oversizing the raceway for future considerations).

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 03-27-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard