ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
iwire Offline OP
I got involved in a discussion on another forum about the requirements for indicating switches, 430.104 and 422.35

A house has an attic exhaust fan and the customer wants to switch it from more than one location, my feeling is once you have provided the required indicating type disconnect at the fan itself you could use 3 or 4 way switches throughout the house.

But there have been many that feel any switch for the motor must be indicating type ruling out control from more than one location.

I am prepared to it crow on this I have before and will again, but I would like to get some more opinions on this.

Thanks for any help even if it shows I am wrong, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Bob,
The 3 or 4 way switches would actually be motor controllers and each of these switches would require a disconnect per 430.102(A). I see no way that a set of 3 way switches, with or without indication, can be used as the required means of disconnect for a motor. The means of disconnect must disconnect the conductors from the power source and a 3 way does not do that. The means of disconnect must be under the control of the person working on the equipment and the remote 3 way makes this control impossible.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
iwire Offline OP
Thanks Don, I did overlook the requirement for a disconnect at the controller.

So how do I control an attic or bathroom fan from 2 locations?

Bob

Oh and I am talking about switches in addition to and not in place of the required disconnect at the motor.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-06-2003).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
R
While it is a big "overkill" it appears that the only code compliant way to control a motor from two or more location is by using a remote control circuit and a contactor with a disconnect at the contactor. This is a case where "common sense" should be used and the 3 way switches should be permitted to control the motor without a disconnect at each switch as long as there is a disconnect at the motor.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
iwire Offline OP
Don OK, I will admit defeat in this, thank you for your replies even if it was the opposite of what I was hoping for. [Linked Image]

I think I will continue to use common sense as long as the AHJ is agreeable, I do not see me installing stop start stations in dwelling bathrooms.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
P
Hello bob

Most dwelling bath fans are plug and receptacle connected inside the enclosure. I am sure that a 3 way switch to the bath exhuast fan is compliant. As far as the attic fan, that may be another story

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
P
To add to my prior post.
I forgot to mention the indicating means required for the bath fan is the 'plug and receptacle' in the enclosure. When unplugged, I believe that indicates it is off.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
I
iwire Offline OP
Pierre

I certainly thought that as well but it seems to be otherwise [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
R
Bob,
I agree that the use of the plug and receptacle at the fan provides an acceptable means of disconnect for the motor as required by 430.109(B).
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
iwire Offline OP
Don now you have me confused that's easy to do. [Linked Image]

it appears that the only code compliant way to control a motor from two or more location is by using a remote control circuit and a contactor with a disconnect at the contactor. This is a case where "common sense" should be used and the 3 way switches should be permitted to control the motor without a disconnect at each switch as long as there is a disconnect at the motor

But then this.

I agree that the use of the plug and receptacle at the fan provides an acceptable means of disconnect for the motor as required by 430.109(B).
Don

What makes these two installations different from each other?

So if I can unplug the motor in my bathroom fan I can use 3 ways at each door to run the fan?

But If I put a single pole indicating switch at the motor as the required disconnect switch for a fan in the attic I can not use 3 way switches downstairs to turn the fan on and off?

I guess I am beating a dead horse because I am just not getting this.???????????

Thanks for your patience, Bob who is now considering making fries for a living. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-07-2003).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard