ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#84614 04/01/03 12:22 AM
T
A neighbor is having a "gut job" done on his house--now it is down to the bare wood.

The contractor is putting in fireblocks in between the existing studs (this is an old house, no fireblocks were used originally) before the electrician comes in to completely rewire the house, before the sheetrock goes up. (By fireblocks, I mean 2x4s that are cut to fit in horizontally between the studs.)

I got to thinking (yeah, I know, thinking can be dangerous)...if the electrician is possibly going to need to drill through fireblocks, doesn't that open a whole can of worms, in that that the fireblock is then compromised? Does the electrician need to seal around the cable to completely fill the hole, or does this apply only to commercial dwellings?

I can't imagine that the guy is going to have to seal every hole drilled vertically yet I find it ironic that an area with electric cable would have holes in the fireblock...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

TG,

This Blocking is commonly used in the Interior walls. We call them "Cats" (Anyone know why?)

I've never heard of holes through them being an issue but am curious about the requirements for these. I did find something in the NYS Resi Code (which is a modified IRC) Electrical Section, but not sure what it means:

E3302.3 Penetration of firestops and draftstops. Penetrations through fire blocking and draftstopping shall be protected in an approved manner to maintain the integrity of the element penetrated.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 03-31-2003).]

Bill
C
Here in Connecticut we are required to fill these holes with fire stopping (retarding?) compound.

Peter
N
see 300.21
A lot of places say if you drill it you seal it.

ed
L
This is really not a big issue here. 2 to 4 vertical pulls per room max to seal. The just of cable in walls is pulled horizontally in residential installs.

Bill ? - CATS=(Cuss At Them Suckers)?

R
We are regularly required to "fire caulk" penetrations that separate 2 floors. The caulk can cost $10-15 per tube.

T
Thanks for the quick response.

nesparky: 300.21 -- That's the one I remembered but couldn't find.

I've never noticed any kind of caulking, etc. in the photos here (and elsewhere) that show Romex through holes. (OK, many of the photos here are posted to show violations anyhow :eek [Linked Image] nor have I seen it in the few newly-built houses I have seen.

I did find the caulking online--one site had it for about $9 per tube.

Interestingly enough, I found some articles (via Google searches) that stated that fiberglass insulation, when the barrier material is covered, is better than wooden fireblocks.

lwinter31: Your explanation of "cats" sounds very plausible [Linked Image]

As usual, you folks gave great information.

E
Here in MA I beleive you are required to seal penetrations between floors. Not 100% sure though, general contratctors usually do this.

P
fireblocking required in walls at ten foot intervals.fireblocks required at soffits.fire blocks required at stair stringers.a dab of fire caulking at the penetrations is sufficient if the product is listed that way.if the fireblocks are not code required no protection is required.

K
here in s.c. the blocks are called perlins or perliners (sp) they are only required in interior walls that exceed 8' in height. the requirements are to use the mortar or caulk in the top and bottom plate not the perlin and of course that depends in which county the job is located. ken m

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard