ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
The exception to 404.9(B) allows for a switch to be ungrounded if it is "provided with a faceplate of nonconducting,noncombustible material.
Question is " Shouldn't this requirement also require the same for the faceplate screws" ? Although I see this alot in existing residential installations,very seldom do I see anything other than metal screws.

Donnie
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
Many years ago when I was contracting; we always grounded the switches. I feel it makes for a safer job. How many times have you installed a plactic plate and found the home owner changed the plate before final inspection. Now working as an inspector, I have to follow the NEC. I would like to see switched grounded, I know plates are changed and home owners will put on any thing they think looks nice.

Larry
I
Doesn't the exception to grounding the yoke only apply to replacement switches where no grounding means is available.

But in those instances I agree with txsparky nylon screws would be a great idea.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I seem to remember that in a "multi family housing STATE code, you needed non-conductive (nylon) screws) on switchplates.
It may have also applied to hotels/motels.
There was a thread relating to this a while ago, and I suggested that McMaster Carr still had nylon 6-32 screws in the catalog.
John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard