ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#84239 03/17/03 07:37 PM
R
Joe,
The rule in the code should not be questioned, and it should not be the cause for continued questioning of those here who have an opinion like you do.
If the code is always correct and there is never a need for questioning, then why do we revise it every 3 years?????
I just thought that maybe there was a real safety issue involved here that I could not think of. I just asked a simple question, in response to your post.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#84240 03/17/03 08:21 PM
S
I see Joe,
so all i need do is forward your addy to all the contestants in question , and they will either be enlightened to the ways of the NEC, or recieve burnt baby pictures?

Gee thanks Joe!!!!

Obviously, i need more time in the contractual arena to learn such skillful diplomacy!

yrs
~Steve

#84241 03/17/03 08:58 PM
R
Ok, I guess if this is such a safety issue, this one particular part of the NEC should be retroactive.

Let's go inspect every dwelling with back up, and force anyone with an older home that may have a 15 amp circuit, even with GFCI protection, to upgrade.

Just my oppinion.

We know that if Harold forces these people to install a multi thousand dollar circuit, they'll think twice about doing things legal next time.

How many times have we discussed common sense?

Not meaning to offend anyone.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 03-17-2003).]

#84242 03/17/03 09:27 PM
Joe, do you have a picture of an accident involving an improperly fed bath receptacle?

If you do, then I say, Harold's hands are tied, he has to pass it, but give them the picture... But only if it relates exactly to this situation...

In a way, I really have to agree with Joe, but it is only because I have never dealt much with inspectors and don't have a good idea on where the grey area is... Enforce the code to the letter, that way the imperfections in the code will become apparent and will be more likely to be ammended.

Make sense?

Example: If we were pulled over immediately for doing 66 in a 65, we would all go 64... And someone would lobby to change the speed limit to 75 in a hurry!

</bad example>

Anyway, I like the idea of punishing people for forgetting the 6 P's:

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Make an example out of 'em!

</envious of the power>

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 03-17-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#84243 03/17/03 09:43 PM
H
OOPS! Sorry guys, I didn't mean to get this board so heated. I myself would like to see the bathroom circuit on a 20 amp dedicated GFCI device. However as I stated, there is this rehab code that I have to follow also. I was also hoping to try and bring some common sense to my inspecting. Joe, knows that I think the world of him and I know that Joe also would never allow anything that was dangerous. He has spent too many years trying to correct and enforce safe wiring methods. My other statement was that other states are looking into the rehab code. The good news is that just like the NEC, I am allowed to try and make code changes. I will write new changes and submit them to the state. I will see if anything develops from these.

#84244 03/17/03 10:07 PM
E
I guess to me the 5 amps is not the real issue. As I have said before this is a new installation and as such I feel it should have to comply with the code that is enforcable at the time. Tapping into an existing circuit that feeds other outlets in the house, be it 15 amps or 20, does not satisfy the requirement. What else is on that circuit? What is the condition of the wiring? What are the connections in the circuit like? What type of panel feeds this? Why set this up for problems? To save the homeowner the expense of a "Multi thousand dollar circuit". Remember "No good deed goes unpunished"!

#84245 03/18/03 07:34 AM
S
That's right guys..
NECocrats standing on the letter of the code just can't apply common sense without rationale to back it up, which is apparently why legislation has intervened to subscribe to common practice.

Scare tactics are also of questionable efficy and geared for the weak minded.
Suppose that i had nasty pixs of all the unseatbelted drivers i've dealt with posted here, would your opinon do a 180 on this alone?

#84246 03/18/03 08:20 AM
R
Ahhh,

Just longing for the old days when we here at ECN could voice our opinions and we all refrained from sarcasm & bitterness.
Now EVERYBODY BE NICE! please? [Linked Image]

#84247 03/18/03 08:24 AM
E
Sparky, you are taking this way to personally. We all have our opinions. Sometimes we agree sometimes we don't. I am not a code Nazi I am just arguing the point of following the code or not. It is odd that you use "common sense" and "unseatbeletd drivers" in the same paragraph. These two simply do not go together.

#84248 03/18/03 01:13 PM
E
Scott,

It's about what the definition of what the "Code" is. Harold is describing a situation where the "Code" is the NEC (current version in force there) modified by additional ordinance or statute when applied to new electrical work in existing dwellings.

Will you allow that the NEC can be modified like this?

Al Hildenbrand
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard