ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
steve66 Offline OP
Can a panelboard be placed in a clothes closet? I know 240.24D says overcurrent devices cannot be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as clothes closets. But, there isn't any similar restriction in article 408 - Switchboards and Panelboards. Is it possible 240.24 doesn't apply since the panelboard would contain any sparks or flames created by a breaker?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Steve,

You have answered your own question. Article 408.2 states the following:

408.2 Other Articles. Switches, circuit breakers, and over-current devices used on switchboards, panelboards, and distribution boards, and their enclosures, shall comply with this article and also with the requirements of Articles 240, 250, 312, 314, 404, and other articles that apply. Switchboards and panelboards in hazardous (classified) locations shall comply with the requirements of Articles 500 through 517.

So, the panelboard cannot be located in the clothes closet because of Article 240.24(D).

Brian

S
steve66 Offline OP
Yes, that does seem to make it pretty clear.
Thanks.

S
steve66 Offline OP
Well, I thought that was a closed topic. Then I ran across Article 240.30A, "Protection from physical damage". This states overcurrent devices shall be protected from damage by:
1) installation in an enclosure, ect.
2) installation on an open type switchboard, ect. free from easily ignitible material.

(I've taken the liberty to shorten the exact text some.) My point is, installation in enclosures doesn't say anything about the area around the enclosure being free from ignitible material. In addition, the handbook says "overcurrent devices enclosed in cabinets or cutout boxes ensure that hot metal particles will not be ejected in the vicinity of combustible material".

So, I'm still wondering, can a panelboard go in a closet, or not?

G
steve66 ---

I don't think anyone could argue this issue is rationally based.

Most breaker boxes here are in garages. Think 40gal of explosive liquids.

and a lot of clothes closets are small rooms with the clothes in cupboards.

I think the intent is good. I just don't understand the implementation from time to time.

Link Copied to Clipboard