Was working on a old apartment complex, it has 6 meters, and six panels, five for the apartments numbered 1-5 and one panel for the house, common circuits.
I was working in apartment no.2 and was replacing countertop existing 3-wire receptacles with GFCIs, since no one is in apt. no.2 and is my wont to do I pulled the main fuse block for apt. no.2 checked the the fuses to ensure that the circuits were dead and they were. Back at apt, no.2 I started to remove the countertop receptacles got two of them pulled out and started to remove the wires, imagine my surprise when I received a shock
I checked the voltage at the wireing and H-N there were 0 volts check the voltage H-G and read 66.5 volts.
Upon further inspection I discovered a single black wire attached to the green grounding screw and exiting through the back of the box and attached to a nearby waterpipe.
The service has one ground-rod and all the panels are tied together with no.4 copper.
The interior water lines are all copper but there is no bonding to the service for this water line. All of the old 2-wire cable has a similar black wire piggy-backed to it and run to different sections of this, in house ,water line, and even some of the piggy-backs are run back to the panels but not back to all of them.
Water to the apartment is from a well and the underground supply is plastic.
Has anyone seen such a mess as this before ???