ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#82814 12/18/02 10:25 AM
If I change one circuit in an existing panelboard will the electrical inspector require me to re do the entire directory??

408.4 Circuit Directory.
All circuits and circuit modifications shall be legibly identified as to purpose or use on a circuit directory located on the face or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboard, and at each switch on a switchboard.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#82815 12/18/02 05:00 PM
Broom Pusher and
At least edit the cell where the Circuit's Description has been changed.

Revise the entire directory if it has been overwritten so many times that it can't be read at all.
This may become a job in it's self! [Linked Image]

I am personally biased on this issue - as I always printout a new Directory for any panel on any job. Just looks more Professional to me.

Scott s.e.t.

oops! had to edit a super typo!
s.e.t.

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 12-18-2002).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#82816 12/18/02 05:00 PM
Joe:
A change of the circuit that was modified is all that I would require.
"White-out" over the old, and write-in the new.
Or, a label over the old, with the new info.

Legible, or semi-legible.

I prefer that the "ID" is in english, and if another language is necessary, then that language as a sub-title. Had this "language" barrier problem a few times; the NEC states "marked", but does not reference a language. I say, this is America and english is our official language.
John

John
#82817 12/18/02 06:12 PM
Tom Offline
John,

Can you tell me exactly which law makes English the "official" language in this country? If you can give me some guidance here, I could probably win quite a few bar room bets.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#82818 12/18/02 06:46 PM
C
We had to vote here in FLORIDA to make English the offical language(this was a few years ago).
Chris

#82819 12/18/02 06:49 PM
S
English is the de-facto official language. It is the language private and government business in the USA is conducted in.

Therefore I believe the labels should be in English to avoid confusion (if necessary add another language, but always be sure to have it supplement the English version). [Linked Image]

#82820 12/18/02 08:47 PM
S
easy one...enter the following & comply

outlets------------outlets

#82821 12/18/02 10:15 PM
H
OOOOHHHH!,

You guys are hittin on a sore subject. Again we get down to the nitty gritty of the code. Here in NJ if I was inspecting the job, If you add a new circuit to a panel, then I would expect you to mark YOUR new circuit breaker. I would not expect you to go back and mark every other breker in the panel. (I would love it if you did, but I don't think that I can enforce it.) If you move breakers around in the panel to make room for a new breaker, then by all means, you should be responsible for all the breakers you touch. And as for the language, in my opinion it should be in AMERICAN. I am not prejudice by any means, ( My 1 set of grandparents came from Italy, and my other from England/Holland and my wife's from Poland.) Cause I am kinda like an "All American Mutt" or a "Heinz 57"type. As for "ANY" language being the second language, well that is a big order to fill. There are thousands of people of every race, creed and color, who live in our country and each and everyone of them would like their native langauge to be the second choice. When my Italian grandparents came to the USA, the made sure that they spoke our langauge. What would happen if I went to Europe? Or Asia? etc., could I speak American? Wouldn't I have to learn their language?

(Stepping off soap box.)

Harold

#82822 12/18/02 10:30 PM
Sparky:
I've seen your example, and technically, that qualifies as "marked". Also seen "outlets.....lights" repetivley, and a whole lot of other "excuses".

Scott35:
You are the kind of guy that I like to inspect.

Harold:
My language comments were not prejudicial (? spelling), but the Town that I inspect in has a large Asian population, and some of the comm jobs inquired about marking directories in Chineese, Korean, etc.

Tom: As to what makes English "official", some other members have voiced opinions. I say, the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution, were written in english, so.....

John

John
#82823 12/19/02 06:09 AM
T
All of the "official language" opinions aside, I would think that for reasons of safety, such as a response from the fire department, electric company, etc., there should be a directory in English.

Additionally, for reasons of safety, if the workers/residents/etc. speak a language other than English, the second language should also appear on the directory.

I also would like to see penmanship taught in schools, not just typing. (Though computer-printed directories do make for a professional job.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard