ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#82404 11/12/02 05:52 PM
S
The other night I had to wire a double oven to an existing box that had 6/3 (with ground) AL wiring. Thought it would be easy - just get some wirenuts at Home Depot rated for Al and Cu. They don't sell them. Everything was Cu to Cu. They sold the Al anti-oxidant, but no connectors to use it with.
Next plan: Install a plug and receptacle (NEMA 14-50). But all of the instruction books packaged with them said Cu to Cu only.
Then I looked at the receptacle itslef, and stamped in the metal it said Cu-Al 75C. So that is what I went with. Does anybody see a problem with this?

Thanks,

Steve.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
I usually use split bolt connectors for this application. I connect MANY ovens and such and most seem to prohibit cord and plug connection.

S
Scott,
Is the prohibition of a plug a safety issue or code issue? Or both?
Also, when you use the split bolt connectors, how do keep 4 of them electrically isolated from each other in a 4" square box?

Is a disconnect required when not plug and cord connected?

Do the split-bolts have to be seperated?

When I splice anything larger than #10:

4-11/16 Square x 2-1/8" Deep boxes for #6, and layer my split-bolts with 2 layers of 50% wrap varnished cambrick, 2 layers 50% wrap of Scotch 130C, and 2 layers of 50% wrap Scotch 33. I trim the ends of wires square and as flush as possible after the split-bolt is tightened.

I've never had a "blow-out" with this method.

<threadjack>
Once on a job with a journeyman, the cover of a 4x4 blew off when energized (480V) with the split-bolts insulated with Cheap Electrical tape only. His "fix" was to layer cardboard between the split-bolts and walls of the box after a few more wraps of tape on the burned spot.

I just stood there with a "deer in the headlights" look...

[Linked Image]
</threadjack>

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
I pretty much gave up on split-bolts several years ago and now use the Polaris Insul-Tap connectors. They are not cheep but much faster to install (and remove) than split bolts. All of the local supply houses stock them. If you haven't tried them I suggest you give them a try. You can look here for more info: http://www.nsipolaris.com/products/pdf2001/p1.pdf

Curt

Curt Swartz
E
Steve,

The Cu/Al rated terminals on the receptacle is an acceptable method. Use antioxidant and torque to manufacturer's specification.

A four wire cord and you're all set. Be certain the oven frame-neutral bond is absent.

I believe most (not all) localities allow ovens to be cord and plug connected.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
C
The only problem I see with cord and plug connected ovens is that I have never seen one that does not already have a flex whip on it. I used to have to install a line of German ovens that did not have a whip on them but they were not listed in this country. They eventually did get them listed but were required to install factory whips. Ranges don't normally come with a cord or whip but have provisions to install one. I'm guessing that the UL listing would be voided if the factory whip was removed and a cord was installed in its place.

Curt

Curt Swartz
E
What I am saying is that the manufacturers instructions very often clearly state the unit is not to be cord and plug connected. Also most have a metal flex and it says not to cut this either. Is there a cord cap for this installation? I use 4 11/16 box connectors rubber taped and then good electrical tape. Never had a problem. Those Polaris connectors look pretty good . May have to try em.

R
There are several nice alternatives to split bolts these days. Ideal "Powr-Connect" connectors with snap-on covers are real nice.
(www.idealindustries.com)

S
Thanks alot for the replies, guys.
The cord from the oven consists of 4 #10 wires in 1/2" flex conduit, and the plug that I bought has a clamp that fits very nicely around it. The plug is very secure.
The instructions that came with the oven show how to wire the oven directly but do not specifically disallow the use of a plug and cord.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard