ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Here is the URL for the Plenum boxes on the Appleton site; they are listed in section OB/SB-1.
http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/SquareArmored.pdf

I have catalog 005 and they are on page 25 in the blue OB/SB-1 section.

I hope this helps.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The static with dust collection issue comes up from time to time.

It seems that no one is able to demonstrate that the problem exists.

One needs enough charged dust to prpagate a flame. That is very difficult to obtain.

J
I believe that "Fine Woodworking" or "Fine Homebuilding" magazine addressed the issue of static in PVC dust collection systems. The final answer was that the NFPA did not consider the issue to be a risk until you reached CFM levels far above anything a household shop would be able to generate.
As for the wiring, not only do I lean toward EMT (solvent resistance, won't sag over time), but I suggest the use of minerlac hangers (as opposed to bending offsets), and supporting the pipe twice as much as usual.
The clearance that the hangers will give the pipe will prevent dust from collecting there. The additional hangers are for supporting the rags, clamps, etc. that are sure to be hung from the EMT.
Another suggestion: make liberal use of "drop cords." These are cord caps hung from a box on the ceiling, using the rubber-grommet strain relief bushings and short lengths of SO cord.

S
sparky Offline OP
Pearlfish,
thanks for the pdf link, i'll check it out with my supplier vs. pvc.

As to 'dust collection', i've wired spark detection units in industry , but this is a small residential glorified vacuum cleaner deal here.
My confusion is over area classification if a dust collection system exists, apparently there will be a HEPA air filter system also.

[Linked Image]

My Dad recently installed a Grizzly Dust Collection System for his basement woodshop. Specs for the installation included running a bare copper wire wrapped externally around the 4 in. (?) ribbed flexible plastic conduits wherever they ran. I couldn't find any info at the site on this though.

[Linked Image from grizzly.com]

Bill
S
sparky Offline OP
Another suggestion: make liberal use of "drop cords."

It's been brought up John, are there reasons or should i say preferances as to cieling receptacles vs. a cord drop ?

J
I like the "ceiling drop" in many applications because this is a way of getting power to the middle of the room without running a cord on the floor- where you can trip over it. A "drop" over a table also lets you move around the table at will, without getting tangled up. With the plugs at about 75", they're easy to reach without being at 'head bumping' level.
It's simply a design choice.

S
sparky Offline OP
cord drops would be a prudent choice in this 24x36 open shop.

i suppose that the issue of dust invasion, vs. box/device, becomes somewhat less a concern also?

H
I have a vision
inspector is going into a wood shop to inspect for wireing violations trips over a pile of wood and hanges himself on a cord drop that has a twist loc and wont release

Instance red tag LOL

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard