ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Electrical Code

On September 25, the Department submitted to the City Council a bill that updates the technical specifications of the NYC Electrical Code.

Using the 1999 National Electrical Code (NEC) as its basis, 300 amendments have been drafted to address NYC's specific requirements and concerns.

This long-awaited bill is part of a continuing effort by the DOB and the Electrical Industry to modernize the NYC Electrical Code and recognize new and emerging technologies.

Once adopted, the amendments and 1999 NEC
will become the official "Technical Standards" for electrical work in the City.

If signed into law, the new standards take effect July 1, 2003, after a six-month transition period.

Please post any additional information if you are familiar with this subject.

I am also interested in anyone who is teaching the 1999 NEC in the NYC area, or who is currently planning on doing so.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Joe,
am i reading this right?
is this saying that NY is just considering the 99' NEC? applicable 2003?
[Linked Image]

Sparky:

Yes and here is the reason:

DEPARTMENT OF BUILDINGS

Bureau of Electrical Control
Municipal Building, New York, NY 10007

(212) 669-8353, TTY (212) 669-1007

Marzio Penzi, MBA, Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 12, 2001

TO ELECTRICAL INDUSTRY REPRESENTATIVE AND INTERESTED PARTIES:

Re: Amendment Proposal Form for NYC Electrical Code - NYC Amendment of 1999 NEC

As you may be aware, the New York City Council passed Intro. 741-a on November 29th which allows the City to move forward to implement a new electrical code, which has taken on a new urgency in light of the disastrous events of September 11th. We are adopting NFPA 70, National Electrical Code ("NEC"), along with amendments where necessary to meet any unique circumstances found in New York City. The 1999 NEC, as amended with the NYC amendments, will constitute the new NYC Electrical Code and will insure that future rebuilding efforts will benefit from updated technical standards.

All interested parties (Licensed Electricians, Engineers, Architects, Owners, City Agencies, etc.) are invited to submit proposed revisions/amendments to the 1999 Edition of NFPA 70, NEC, on the attached Amendment Proposal Form . The submissions will be reviewed and considered for inclusion in the NYC Amendments to the 1999 NEC. In order to meet statutory deadlines for submission of amendments, any proposed amendments, including source materials, must be submitted in duplicate using the attached form, no later than January 31, 2002. Only complete and legible submissions will be considered. Proposed amendments or revisions received after January 31, 2002 may be held for future consideration. It should be noted that all work previously performed by past Panels, convened for the purpose of producing a new NYC Electrical Code based on the 1990 NEC, will be referenced by new individual Panels while reviewing your submission..

Participants are encouraged to submit as many proposals as they wish, but each proposal should be submitted in duplicate on a separate Proposal Form.

Thank you for participating in this important endeavor to insure that New York City has the very best Electrical Code possible.

Marzio Penzi

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-01-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
C
C-H Offline
Perhaps I'm just plain stupid, but why do NYC and various states have their own codes? Sure, the buildings in New York might be higher than others, but does this require the city to have its own code? It's one country!

Why do different states need to bother about adopting codes at at all? "Electrical work is to be carried out in accordance with the NFPA rules." Fire and forget, so to speak...

/Puzzled

S
It's one country!
turf, revenue, & ego come to mind......

Participants are encouraged to submit as many proposals as they wish, but each proposal should be submitted in duplicate on a separate Proposal Form.

if i were a NY'er, i would propose they move on to ammending (if they must) the 02' code.

H
NJ, is still under the 1999 NEC. The 2002 NEC hasn't been adopted yet. The reason, AFCI's, the state is fighting about them.

N
C-H
With 50 states and who knows how many local govermental agencies such as county,city or town or village, who may or may not decide to have permitting and/of electrical code enforcement, the local rules are a confusing mix. Add the various AHJ rulings and local practices, and this creates a lot of problems with anyone who travels for work.
Many of the local rules were created by those who wanted only local people doing work in there area.
Almost all the jurisdictions use the NEC as a starting point, some have admendments at times lengthy. Some created thier rules a while back and are not intrested in taking the time or paying the cost to update.
Since code enforcement is a local and not federal issue, the confusion will remain.
BTW I personally do not want the federal goverment involved.
Actually it's one of the things that make our trade intresting.

ed
F
I worked in NYC for 10 yrs and i cant tell you how many hours were spent at the table in the shop fighting which code made more sense or the "in Jersey we can do....". I know alot of people that will be thrilled about this if/when it goes thru.
It does seem to me it was in discussion befor Sept 11 though.

R
Ron Offline
Check the NYC DOB web site: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/elcode.html

Code is enforced as of January 2003.
Proposed amendments are http://www.council.nyc.ny.us/textfiles/Int%200284-2002.htm

Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard