ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#82220 10/25/02 10:11 PM
F
Fred Offline OP
Who has read Mike Holt's Newsletter about the proposed removal of the AFCI requirement from the 2005 NEC? I would be interested to hear comments.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
I love the idea. I will save me tons of money on those expensive breakers.

T
If a $35 breaker saves 1 life regardless of how many installs, dont you think it's worth it?

Jaccuzzi Guy...How will it save you tons of money? Don't you charge for materials? or do you just give them away?

Donnie
R
The correct code section for the AFCI rule is 210.12.

Don(resqcapt19)
N
I agree with mike holt.
Maybe one day AFCI will live up to the sales pitch and scare tactics of salesmen.
Untill that technology can extinguish a loose conection fault, I doubt it will ever save a life or prevent a fire.

ed
E
I would actually lose money if this were removed. 4 AFCI breakers @ $30.00 Ea = $120.00 my cost plus 30% markup in my pocket thats nine bucks per breaker. Now 30% on a $3.50 regular breaker is only a buck and some change. Which would you rather sell. I know so many guys who are always looking for the cheapest way out and I don't get. I use dimmers on everything when I do a kitchen remodel. I use undercabinet lights with tranformers and I sell electronic low voltage dimmers for these at ninety bucks a piece. There is a nice profit to be made without any addtional work if you just upgrade the materials.

S
Electricmanscott,
agreed....
but then you'd need to stand behind the products you're peddaling.
This includes the products efficy, reliability, and 'sales pitch'

E
Sparky I see your point in regards to backing the product as it pertains to the AFCI. I was just gerneralizing on cost and profit. It will certainly be interesting to see where this goes. I suspect there are probably many of these afcis installed at a huge cost to homeowners. In my mind if you remove this now you are admitting a huge mistake and misrepresentation of the product which may get the lawyers scrambling for some class action on the behalf of duped consumers.

E-Scott,

You don't do bid jobs? All T&M?

*jealous*

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
E
66, Mostly t&m which keeps things pretty comfortable for me. If I do bid a job I bid it to make money and I use the materials that I figure the price with. I would not bid with the good stuff and then substitue it for el cheapo's. I must admit I have a better than average situation going here. I do work for a company that specializes in mid to high end kitchen remodels. www.kitchenassociates.com I bill clients directly with no middleman. All they ask in return is that I am there for them when they need me. I rarely have to bid a job with these guys as they sell me to the clients. Best part... money is rarely an issue, although I have noticed in the last couple of months that money is becoming more of an issue. Eh what was this topic about again...

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 10-26-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard