ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Just a reminder:

"The connector or clamp by which the Type AC cable "BX" is fastened to boxes or cabinets shall be of such design that the insulating bushing. or its equivalent will be visible for inspection."

This is often called the "Antishort or Red Head."

Don't use any fittings that will not allow the inspection of the "RED HEAD"

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-17-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Joe,
i was told the little 'tails'on the
antishorts were for after-install verification....

i am using quick a quick connect variety mc conn, with an insulated throat, i use the anti's with them anyways, but wonder if they are listed/rated for use without them?

C
i would like to see some photos of this one to be sure i know what you mean because there are a few different types and it seems like we are wasting time doing both the insulated connector and the antishort

i think we used the ones sparky is talking about and also had to use the antishorts... no big deal on small jobs but its a big deal on something like a $30 million dollar school

S
well, same for set screws & locknuts then too....

I just got a box of these to try out recently.

[Linked Image from aifittings.com]
[Linked Image from aifittings.com]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 10-17-2002).]

C
i'm curious what you saw Joe and where this is a problem

also wondering if i missed something Sparky cause i reread these and noticed you said MC, which you dont need anti-short bushings with anyway, right?

what i read in 320.40 is only the AC cable [with the 16awg bond wire] needs the bushing or "equivalent" visible and we dont use much AC except hcf in medical buildings, the insulated throats [equivalent?] are visible at cover

R
Cindy, you are corect. But remember per the 2002 code, HCFC can't be used on emergency circuits. ( not to be confused with the term essential systems)

Roger

H
Keep in mind too, that some BX connectors are not rated for MC wire. Always make sure that the connector you are using is rated for that wire. Some MC connectors are squeeze tight style while some BX connectors rely on the screw type connectors.

S
good call Cindy....

330.40 does not include the wordage that 320.40 has

320.40 Boxes and Fittings.
At all points where the armor of AC cable terminates, a fitting shall be provided to protect wires from abrasion, unless the design of the outlet boxes or fittings is such as to afford equivalent protection, and, in addition, an insulating bushing or its equivalent protection shall be provided between the conductors and the armor. The connector or clamp by which the Type AC cable is fastened to boxes or cabinets shall be of such design that the insulating bushing or its equivalent will be visible for inspection. Where change is made from Type AC cable to other cable or raceway wiring methods, a box, fitting, or conduit body shall be installed at junction points as required in

330.40 Boxes and Fitting.
Fittings used for connecting Type MC cable to boxes, cabinets, or other equipment shall be listed and identified for such use.

Q~am i to assume that insulated throat connectors serve as a connector/red combo in either application???
[Linked Image]

Some fittings that are used with "BX" have a small hole located to allow viewing "inspection" of the protective bushing.

For example, a duplex "BX" connector, a transition fitting from "BX" to EMT, etc.

The use of any fitting that works violates the code rule in 300.15.

PS: Type MC Cables have no specific rule calling for the "Redheads"

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
PS: Type MC Cables have no specific rule calling for the "Redheads"

but they always seem to sell rolls with a bag of them......

Link Copied to Clipboard