ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#81972 10/08/02 01:09 PM
R
rmiell Offline OP
Has anyone adopted a different electrical code than the NEC? What are your thoughts on the International Electrical Code, or the International Residential Code.
Just wanting to get a little background info.
Is there a web site that allows free downloading of the IRC or IEC?
Rick

[This message has been edited by rmiell (edited 10-08-2002).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#81973 10/08/02 03:09 PM
Rick,

New York has adopted the 'I Codes' with their own variations (and Name) so the Residential Code is not called the IRC but it is very similar I am sure.

I am a little unclear on how this works, but it references the 1999 NEC and has about 70 pages of text, diagrams and tables on Electrical installation. It only includes rules for materials and installations most likely encountered in a one or two Family Dwelling. It seems to say that anything not included there should be subject to the applicable parts of the NEC (1999)

I have not had a chance to read or compare too much but I have not come across anything contrary to the rules in the NEC thus far. There are additional requirements that Electrical installations must conform to that are not in the NEC though.

For Example:
Rules for drilling and notching wood-framed members and Penetration of Fire-Rated Walls.

Bill

Bill
#81974 10/09/02 09:51 AM
C
C-H Offline

What are your thoughts on the International Electrical Code, or the International Residential Code.

By the International Electrical Code, are you refering to the IEC 60364 ? In many countries the national code is based on this. The exception is North and Central America.

(IEC in this case stands for International Electrical Commission)

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 10-09-2002).]

#81975 10/09/02 07:16 PM
90.1(D) in the 2002 NEC added the following:

"Relation to International Standards.

The requirements in this Code address the fundamental principles of protection for safety contained in Section 131 of International Electrotechnical Commission Standard 60364–1, Electrical Installations of Buildings.

FPN:IEC 60364-1, Section 131, contains fundamental principles of protection for safety that encompass protection against electric shock, protection against thermal effects, protection against overcurrent, protection against fault currents, and protection against overvoltage. All of these potential hazards are addressed by the requirements in this Code."

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#81976 10/10/02 09:28 PM
H
As far as I know, here in NJ we will NOT adopt the IEC. They will only adopt the NEC as adopted by the UCC. ( Uniform Construction Code) The UCC will just change some sentences in the NEC, such as they did not adopt the use of AFCI yet. The UCC says that all drilling and boring into wood beams fall under the jurisdition of the building inspector. Also they will change words alone in the NEC. ( Such as AHJ, into the electrical subcode official)

#81977 10/16/02 03:19 PM
Administrator
From Steve T:
My municipality is considering adopting the IRC. I think it is a mistake. I mean the chapters concerning electrical installations anyways. We are also going to adopt the NEC for other installations, but the NEC also covers one- and two-family dwellings. There doesn't appear to be many differences but I noticed a couple of discrepancies.

I think a municipality should stick with the NEC and avoid at all costs other electrical codes. Other codes lead to confusion and confusion leads to mistakes. I see a million mistakes because contractors tell me that's what the Chicago code says. And I say we don't follow the Chicago code, but Chicago has rewritten their code to closely resemble the NEC and that's not what the Chicago code says either!!

I think Chicago made a mistake not adopting the NEC with amendments because they are going to fall far behind the NEC again.
(Steve T)

Link Copied to Clipboard