ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#81489 08/23/02 01:12 AM
E
elecbob Offline OP
If the NEC is necessary, why haven't half the buildings in Latin American burned to the ground and half the people been electrocuted? Anyone who's walked down a street in Mexico knows what I mean. Uncovered hot meter bases at eye level adjacent the sidewalk, 13,000 volt bare distribution lines 4 feet from balconies, etc. One big factor I've noticed is the differance in liability laws. Remember the guy that picked up his lawn mower to trim his hedge and cut off his fingers? Personally I think he should be eliminated from the gene pool not awarded one million bucks by a jury. Every time a new NEC book comes out it is fatter than the previous one. Never leaner. What will the 2052 edition look like? A foot thick maybe?
Every project of any size has code violations. A non-UL rated connector, a non-compliance box, switch, or receptacle and it's a game guessing what the inspector will allow. Contractors kiss his ass when he's at the job site and curse him when he leaves.
It's like a circus show Ive been watching for 27 years. If I didn't laugh I'd go insane. Then again maybe I have.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#81490 08/23/02 06:55 AM
S
spoken like many old timers in this trade elecbob. i'd wager your not alone in viewing the direction the NEC is going.
methinks what drives the 'living document' these days differs from yesteryear.

#81491 08/23/02 07:12 AM
G
May I point to Article 370 as affirmation of Bob's complaint? What precipitated the use of the word "nominal" in box supports when they speak of a 1" X 2"?

Everytime you write a rule, it is subject to interpretation. The founding fathers of the country knew that with the principle that the "Best Gummint is the least gummint" (OK I know that was Thom. Jefferson) but we never seem to learn that do we?

As Freddy Hartwell pointed out some time ago, read 430-52(c)(1), and follow up with the exception......we write a rule, and then immediately override it

Don't even start me on AFCI's.

You're right elecbob, and it's gonna get worse, not better. The code was written by a combination of electricians, and engineers, but heavy on the trade experience for each committee. Take a look at your committees now, and prepare a foot thick place on your desk. [Linked Image]

#81492 08/23/02 08:23 AM
Read the following threads here and send in your proposals to NFPA for the 2005 NEC, if your really have valid problems.

I agree, some words used in the NEC are "vague" and should not be used.

PS: How many of you have served as a committee member in any capacity?

Not easy is it?

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000462.html

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000077.html

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#81493 08/23/02 09:03 AM
R
I would prefer not to have to contend with uncovered meter bases and 13kV. within arms reach.
Also, I would be willing to bet that, all things being equal, there are indeed more accidents, fires and electrocutions in places that do not have regulations governing electrical installations.

#81494 08/23/02 09:19 AM
J
The code is needed to ensure that some of us do it right. But with everything today i believe it has also become wraped up in politics and moneymaking ideas. if i come up with a product and i can get the nec to require it i will make alot of money who knows maybe there are some kick backs some were. its all politics today and everyones scared of being sued. because our justice system awards idiots millions while the people who truly deserve to be compensated are given pennys on the dollar. just my 2 cents...

#81495 08/23/02 09:46 AM
Bill:

Do you carry any translated electrical products?

If so, the NFPA has been translating the NEC for quite some time and they even hired someone from Mexico to help with quesions asked here.

1999 Spanish Edition National Electrical CodeĀ® Handbook and Code Set.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#81496 08/23/02 01:03 PM
Joe,

We don't have any Spanish NEC-Related products. Just some Basic Electricity and Electronics Books in Spanish.

Bill

Bill
#81497 08/24/02 12:28 AM
E
elecbob Offline OP
Thank you all for your opinions. Some times I think the NEC violates the seperation of church and state guarantees. The days of "Thou shalt" and "Thou shalt not" don't don't seem very far in the future. Espicially when you're working with an inspector to get the job done safely, on budget and on time.
I think the Spanish translated materials are being produced to facilitate persons from Mexico entering the electrical trades here (Does Canada have a French translation?). Has anyone hired a Spanish helper to break into the Spanish speaking market? How do you say "You need a new 200 amp panel" in Spanish?
bob

#81498 08/24/02 07:53 AM
S
Usted necesita un 200 panel de amperio nuevo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard