ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Is there a rule I`m missing. Some county inspectors tell me leave wire in panel not stripped and others want it all terminated except wiring on the breakers?Seems the guy I work for doesn`t really know.He says just give`em what they want.Is there a artical for the rough in or do I have to keep going and fixing it one for this guy and this way for another.Should the wires be terminated or not?
Thanks in advance

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Over here in NJ:
"Rough" (Commercial)
Pigtails/boxes installed for lighting
Pigtails/boxes for exit/emerg units
All splices made-up in all device boxes
Grounds spliced, pigtails and bonded to boxes
All cables into panel
All connections made at panel
Some prefer that the circuits remain un-energized until rough, most allow use as "temporary" if GFI's are installed.

We haven't touched residential in a while, but it used to be basically the same.

HotLine1
John

John
S
hmmm,
while we have concluded in the past here that the more 'rough' done the better the Q asks a minimum.
this would not be an NEC standard, maybe some other building or association code would apply....

my take....

see how the $$ flows......

H
Reel Break,

When I do a rough inspection, I just look for the neutrals and grounds to be made up in the boxes. I will check the wires in the panel on the final inspection. Just my 2 cents.

Caper

R
I guess the whole thing is last week we did the same thing and another inspector passed off on the rough in. Now same town this guy want pass the rough in because the branch wiring is not hooked in the panel?Me personally I rather wait to strip it so my writing on the wiring will be there for indentification of all the circuits.Just seems very trivial since he must come back anyway But he refuses to sign off on the rough in until it`s stripped. AND SO THEY WERE STRIPPED.

E
Obviously he's a jerk. Simple as that!

G
Perhaps we could impose upon Joe to post "Traits of a good electrical inspector" by Phil Simmons (NO comments accepted about 'not breathing' please [Linked Image] ) One of the traits is consistency, I keep one around to pass onto new inspectors AND remind myself when I wanna be a jerk...... make that jurque, I'm fancier than normal [Linked Image]

J
We always terminate the panel at rough in. Just a habit for us, the inspector hasn't mandated it. Some others here leave it and do it later.

Lighting the way
George:
I could not find that article, but found the following which should give some ideas of your direction:

Electrical Inspectors often are asked if they can meet with the following:

Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

Thorough knowledge of possible defects and faults in electrical wiring and appliances, and of the stages in electrical construction where such faults and defects are most readily ascertained and remedied.

Thorough knowledge of the methods and practices involved in constructing,
installing, maintaining, and operating a variety of electrical installations, equipment, and appliances.

Thorough knowledge of laws and regulations governing electrical installations.

Ability to detect and locate defective electrical installations of a complex nature and to ascertain the stage of installation when defects are most easily found and remedied.

Ability to understand and work from construction and wiring plans, blueprints, drawings, and diagrams.

Ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinate inspectors.

Ability to enforce regulations with firmness, tact, and impartiality.

Ability to contact building owners, contractors, craftsmen, and others and to effect and maintain satisfactory working relationships on inspection and regulatory matters.

Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-15-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Broom Pusher and
For all the Commercial projects I have done out here [in So. Cal], Rough Inspection would be just that - Roughed in stuff. This would be for walls to be covered, but also goes for floor work [saw cuts] prior to backfill and patch and items similar to this area.

Ceiling Inspection is typically separate [T-Bar ceilings] since the grid goes up after the walls. Ceiling Inspection covers any and all Conduits above the ceiling, the light fixtures in the ceiling [wires and screws], and the Comm / Data cabling.
All trades involved [HVAC, Electrical, Ceiling, FLS, Plumbing, Etc.] must be signed off before the ceiling tiles can be installed.

Subpanels get Inspected at Final Electrical, as normally we do not install the Bus Kit until the walls are finished [to keep the drywall mud and paint off the Bus!]. I clean the enclosure then Vacuum it out prior to installing a Bus Kit. After landing everything, clean it out again then put on the covers. Pull off the covers and dead fronts before the Inspector arrives, then replace after Inspection.

P.S. All boxes are made up before Rough Inspection. This includes pig tails for Receptacles and "Whips" out from Switches for Light Fixtures [to be terminated after the ceiling grid is set].

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard