ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.

Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

What does this mean to a "Qualified Person?

I try to be sure that the installation is done right the first time!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
To me it means "TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR WORK" no matter were you are working make it look like it was done for a palace. Remeber your work is a direct reflection of you. Every time we bring a machine tool to our building from the corporate shop i cant believe some of the wireing the veteran maint guys do. no pride in there work.

S
true jlhmaint,
yet to a 'qualified' person the neatest job may incorporate the worst 'workmanlike' electrical design.....

Oh Well, here goes:
Neat and workmanlike should mean that the job was done professionally, and LOOKS it.
Level, square, plumb, straight, etc., etc.

Pride in your work? That's my company policy
Do it right the first time? Definitley.
There's some shoddy work around, and it's to bad that it reflects on the trade in general.
HotLine1
John

John
R
Ron Offline
Reprinted from the neca site.
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has approved NECA 1-2000, Standard Practices for Good Workmanship in Electrical Construction. Envisioned as the ‘centerpiece’ of the National Electrical Installation Standards series of publications, NECA 1 defines what is meant by installing equipment in a “neat and workmanlike manner” as required by the National Electrical Code, Section 110-12.

Subjects covered include receiving, storing, and protecting construction materials on site, properly mounting and supporting electrical equipment, installing raceways and conductors, and Americans with Disability Act Guidelines (ADAG) for locating electrical products and systems. NECA 1 is the sixth NEIS to receive ANSI approval. It will be available for purchase in August.

Ron
I agree with all that was stated above. Let me throw another twist into this mix. Neat and workmanlike is defined by the inspector who passes or fails the installation. When an installation passes inspection, it is by virtue of that fact, neat and workmanlike. We all know that any self respecting inspector would never pass an installation that wasn't up to code (neat and workmanlike). It is also the electrician who installs the work. Here in Texas, as many of you may know, there is not a state license for electricians. Therefore, many areas don't have an AHJ. In those areas with no inspections, the electricians define what is neat and workmanlike.

Neatly,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Oh the venerable 110.12...

It was the first code I memorized as an apprentice, and became my favorite (and least favorite) quote in the entire book.

The subjectivity of the wording lends to all sorts of interpretation, and if the AHJ was in a particularly bad mood that day, any installation could fail 110.12 .

There's nothing more that I could add, but that I'm glad to see the quotes and better explanations of this.

I even asked an inspector once if he was going to bust me on 110.12 for having my conduit a little skewed... He just looked at me for a moment with an odd look on his face, and said "Nah..."

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
and said "Nah..."

as opposed to?
!!OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

yer far to self-critiqing my friend....

'Neat & Workmanlike" , IMHO, is when other electricians say 'oooh!'

P
I had a problem with some PVC conduit in a garage/home workshop a few weeks ago.

I carefully fitted the spacer saddles in line with the brickwork across the end extension and installed the conduit nicely parallel with the joints. When I stood back and looked at it from a distance the conduit (white) was obviously sloping downhill.

The problem was that the brickwork was not horizontal. If I adjusted the conduit with a spirit level to get it dead horizontal, it looked fine from a distance, but up close it looked bad because it didn't line up withe the brickwork.

No way to win on that one!

G
Pauluk,

When I run into situations like you describe, all too often I might add, I always follow the building lines. It's likely no one will ever put a level on your pipework, but if it looks crooked to the eye everyone can see it.

JMO
GJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard