ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#81086 07/11/02 10:54 PM
In the powder room of the house I'm wiring (rough-in almost done) the General doesn't want the GFCI receptacle for the basin as required by 210.52(D) to be counter height. He wants it in the baseboard below and to the right of the basin

210.52(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, atleast one wall receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop.

His argument: A "powder room" is not a bathroom.

My argument: definition of "bathroom" according to the NEC:

Bathroom: An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub, or a shower.

His argument: It won't be used for anything anyway.

My argument: doesn't matter.

Then I start to get dirty looks and I start to feel that I'm protecting myself right out of a job.

So... Lowering the darn thing is very difficult anyway, all of the drywall is up except where the recept is and the cable is too short to reach where they want it.

I don't want to put it there anyway...

What do I do? What would you do?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#81087 07/11/02 11:15 PM
R
The section does not require the receptacle to be above the counter. It just must be within 3' hortizontally from the basin on a wall that is adjacent to the basin. Where does it say it must be at or above the basin elevation?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#81088 07/12/02 12:00 AM
OK, thanks Don... If that's how the word "adjacent" is interpreted... Heck, I dunno...

Really, I thought it did mean above, and I was going to suggest that the code be amended to reflect that, but hey, if that ain't the codes intention, then the points moot and I'm wrong...

I'll move the receptacle in the morning.

Geez, I really do learn something new here everyday.

(Some times it's a little hard on the pride, but hey, I will admit when I'm wrong).

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#81089 07/12/02 07:05 AM
R
spark,
How wide is the counter? If you put the receptacle in the baseboard, will you still be within 3' of the edge of the sink (basin)?
I'm guessing not.
BTW,
Adjacent means "nearby" or "close to"

#81090 07/12/02 08:28 AM
You'd be right Redsy, but Don's interpretation seems to be "3' horizontally", and the verticle distance doesn't seem to matter.

Guess I'm putting the job on hold until I get better answers.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#81091 07/12/02 08:58 AM
Oh, there's no counter, just a basin on a stand.

I still think your point is valid though.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#81092 07/12/02 10:47 AM
R
I think that the intent is that the recp be above the counter or basin, but the words don't say that.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#81093 07/12/02 04:34 PM
E
To me 3 feet is 3 feet regardless of the direction. The fact that it is a powder room and not a full bath would make me far more flexible if I were an inspector. I would move it, charge an extra, and maybe render the installed drywall useless in the process. (If I was feeling grumpy)

#81094 07/12/02 07:54 PM
S
Funny that this is the GC's wish here, the dude who's job it is to make the job run smoothly

#81095 07/13/02 03:42 AM
I should point out that the General Contractor in this case is really a team of engineers and architects (with secretaries and accountants) who act as "point men" for the jobs. Everything is subbed out, so there's "building" (framing) contractors, HVAC, plumbers, trim-carpenters, dry-wallers, drywall finishers, the electrical contractor (me), the excavators, the landscapers, the EC for the landscape lights (Joe M.), etc. etc. etc....

So the GC in this case has major interest here. In fact, on the second day of the job at the one I contracted (from the beginning) I found out from the point man that the switch boxes had to be exactly placed so that the finished door trim is 2" from the cover plate on all switches. I already knew they had spec'd for metal boxes.

So instead of hanging 40 or so boxes an hour, I'm hanging maybe, one per hour. Either have to block and shim out and/or cut chunks out of studs, and almost every recessed canister light's center line ended up with a truss in the way.

My bid at 2.5x my "normal" rate has turned into an underbid...

I would've never guessed.

Man who couldn't come out ahead on an $11K 3000 sq footer bid?

(change orders may push my original bid of $10.2K to about $12K when finished)...

Don, I agree and my gut feeling says that the intent of the code would be to have it above the basin or basin countertop, just don't have the "truth" to back me up...

It was a good opportunity for me to show how quickly I can admit to a mistake. Actually, I did the change for free including replacing the drywall (they would have back-charged me for the drywall anyway...).

I don't want to put a stop to this debate, I'd actually like to get to the bottom of it, and maybe even request a change in code. But I really don't want to be playing musical chairs with the location of this recept so if we finally decide that it should be above... I ain't moving it again.

Sorry to be stubborn, but I'm just getting a little weary.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-13-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard