ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#81028 06/16/02 11:51 PM
I've got a Klein torque screwdriver on order, how do I find out the torque specs of various and sundry equipment?

No problem on service equipment and CB's, it's plainly written on a label in the enclosures somewhere and on the CB's themselves...

But switches and recepts are another matter... Nothing on the boxes or devices themselves that I've seen...

Any help?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-17-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#81029 06/19/02 11:23 AM
W
The only torque specs for a duplex receptacle that I could find was on the Leviton web site (www.Leviton.com). This is the statement from their spec sheet for the 5262-IG Receptacles –
Designed torque capability of +20 inch pounds.

#81030 06/19/02 03:53 PM
P
You have torque figures marked on some devices these days??! Wow!

I have to work to the principle: If the screw head shears off, it's too tight. [Linked Image]

#81031 06/19/02 04:29 PM
M
Sparky66
I have had mine for about a month now and Dont leave home without it.
In fact there is a list of torque specifications in the code. On Hubble receptacles they recommend between 9-12 in-# or 1.0-1.4 N.M
I found that the screwdriver is invaluable especiallly doing services, and it amazing how much you over tighten things, especially devices .
I usually use Siemens and for the smaller breakers 15-50 they recommend 24 in-#, and on all the liturature inside the cabinent it list tightening torques.

Paul of the UK
On the Siemens Breakers its right on front cant see it without a magnifier or lots of light, but all the manufactures have a torque specification, Square-D recommends I think 35in-# for its breakers.
Anyways I am sold on it.

I like your priciple, thats sort of like the one that states, Tighten a screw all the way down til it wont go any more, then one full turn.
-Mark

[This message has been edited by motor-T (edited 06-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by motor-T (edited 06-19-2002).]

#81032 06/20/02 09:32 PM
Thanks for the replies!

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#81033 07/04/02 04:41 PM
So, now I've had my torque screwdriver for a couple of services, and a torque wrench too.

The service I put in last week was the first I had installed "properly" using the torque specs listed in the panels and on the CB's. I have been over-tightening the lugs (250 in-lbs), busses and breakers (20 to 30 in-lbs), and probably not getting the EGC and range wire neutral tight enough on the bus (35 in-lbs).

However, upon inspection, the inspector breaks out his 3/8" allen wrench and procedes to tighten my work another quarter of a turn!

Plus he said that he likes to see the slots and edges buggered-up so he can tell I got 'em tight enough. I explained that I had torqued them to specs, (and had spent $130 on a screwdriver and $85 on a wrench so I could) and I didn't really think it was good to retorque terminals. (You'd eventually cut them in two, wouldn't you?)...

After a glare or two, he replied "they loosen up anyway..."

And I left it at that.

At least this inspector quoted 250.66 to let me know that I "could've" used #6 for the EGC instead of #4 if I had wanted.

Monday I have another inspection with another inspector.

How do I convince him that "I've torqued to specs and please don't touch my work" in a nice way?

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#81034 07/04/02 04:56 PM
G
Sparky,
OK, the guys an idiot. You DON'T overtorque. Make little black checkmarks on the bolts that you torque as you torque them. If the inspector knows anything, he'll recognize that as tester marks.

#81035 07/04/02 05:18 PM
Um... Interesting story I had forgotten about:

The Inspector I'm using on Monday has at one time broken a lug on the meterbase checking the "torque"... I think he learned his lesson that way, but I still wonder if he understands the whole issue like you gurus do...

Maybe if I could explain in a scientific way why it is bad to overtorque and re-torque, my argument would have more weight.

George, may I trouble you (or anyone else) for a deeper explanation?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-04-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#81036 07/04/02 07:25 PM
B
"...inspector breaks out his..." WTF? A building inspector modifying others’ work? What a d!pshit. Do his superiors know about this behavior? {The felt-pen marks are a good idea.}

Maybe the next time he'll tear out all yer #12 and replace it with #10.

The guy reminds me of some pathetic dad in the bleachers at little-league games who yells at coaches and umpires about his kid, trying to make up for his own twisted victimization in childhood.

He must have failed miserably as a tradesman and is now self appointed to compensate for all the shoddy workmanship he perceives. {Some loctite in setscrew threads may cause him to eventually loose interest in sainthood.}

He could get suicidal if you set up a pull section with ½-inch 2-bolt hydraulic-compressed lugs and bellevilles, or, better yet, 5/8-inch dragon-tooth washers.

#81037 07/05/02 02:33 PM
Many thanks to Joe T. and George C. for sending me various and sundry torque specs as I requested... Great! I've got the tools and the specs, now I need the "theory" to back me up...

Let me ask a few Q's to let you know what I'm looking for now:

If/when the inspector or any other "authority" has the opinion that torquing to specs isn't tight enough, and claims that the terminals loosen up anyway, and later need re-tightened (read: retorqued)... What the heck do you say to them?

What happens to properly torqued lugs over time (Especially with Aluminum Conductors)?

What happens to an over-torqued lugs over time as compared to properly torqued lugs?

What happens to re-torqued lugs over time as compared to properly torqued lugs?

What happens to under-torqued lugs over time as compared to properly torqued lugs?

When I'm out in the field trying to give my viewpoint to those who disagree, I tend to give the impression that I'm "hung-up on code" to the point of being unproductive, but yet when I'm here on ECN, I have the feeling that I'm on the other end of the spectrum as a jack-leg weekend-warrior compared to you "heavy cats" (musical term, it's a compliment...).

[Linked Image]

Either George or Watt Doc, or somebody here once said: "The problem with electricity is that it almost always works."

Boy, is that ever right.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard