ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80972 06/14/02 12:06 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
from the 'emailbag'
Dear Sir: I am an electrical contractor in Va. working for a company that designs and manufactures booths for museums, exhibits and shows. There appears to be a conflict -- are they exempt from following the NEC and are they exempt from UL testing when lighting fixtures (fluorescent) are dismantled and only the tombstones are used mounted to a manufactured frame and the ballast is remotely installed?? Where is the protection for the fixture wires?? If they modify the fixture do they not void the UL warranty/rating and should then be made to aquire an independent testing agency to test and approve and give a '"label" similar to the UL "label"??

I would really appreciate a response --

Thanks, js

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#80973 06/14/02 01:04 AM
B
js—I agree with your description of the situation. You don’t always want to bite the hand that feeds, but don’t want your firm to be needlessly exposed to unreasonable liabilities.
Sounds like maybe they're invoking some sort of contorted and misinterpreted ‘carnival-ride exemption.’ They may have the idea that, in effect, moving around country keeps themselves at arms length from building or fire inspections. If they are using unmodified lighting assembles interconnected per NEC, then article 410 [ie, showcase/fixture] may likely apply. If they’re using components removed from, or meant to be installed as replacement parts in fixtures, they could possibly work with an NRTL under contracts/agreements/conditions like that of electric sign builders. A ‘hypothetical’ call with the right person in UL or ETL [or ?] may be in order.

#80974 06/14/02 07:04 AM
S
they are assuming a liability here...

#80975 06/14/02 10:08 PM
G
Well, in a previous lifetime I handled UL listing for a manufacturing company, so I'll take a shot at this.

Manufacturers are not required by the federal govt. to list their products. They do it because the listing will help sell product and will open doors with local juridictions who will not allow un-listed stuff.

The NEC is an installation code and does not apply to manufactured equipment. In other words.....I make whirlpool tubs, my tubs are listed by UL. UL governs the testing and design requirements of the wiring inside my equipment. The only place the NEC will come into play is during installation of the whirlpool.

#80976 06/15/02 09:00 AM
G
"If they modify the fixture do they not void the UL warranty/rating and should then be made to aquire an independent testing agency to test and approve and give a '"label" similar to the UL "label"?? "

Yes, the original listing for the fixture is void.

Answer to the second part depends.....is the booth being sold as listed equipment?? If it is then there has to be a file for the configuration and testing that was done. No testing....No listing.

GJ

Link Copied to Clipboard