ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redsy Offline OP
I'm getting stuck on the code loop for increasing a breaker size to eliminate nuisance tripping due to inrush.
I know it's there.
The compressor has OL protection, the CB is only for SC & GF protection, etc. But I need formal justification.
Anyone?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Redsy,
Look at 440.21 and .22 for the OCPD sizing and 440.33 for the conductor sizing.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
M
I'll take a shot at it Redsy,

The #10 wire has already been sized for 125% of the motor-compressor full load current plus 100% of all other loads, and it has no problem carrying the motor/compressor starting current for the short duration that it is present. Why install larger wire if it is not necessary?

Its really not all that different than other motor circuits. It is very common to see motor circuits protected with fuses or circuit breakers with ratings much higher than the ampacity of the circuit conductors. You said it yourself, the overcurrent protection is provided by the integral OL. It already has one device protecting the circuit from overloads with a rating well within the ampacity of the wire, just as a general purpose branch circuit normally only has a single device protecting it.

Branch circuit conductor size and overcurrent protection for air conditioning equipment is marked on the equipment nameplate in most cases. These values will have been computed by use of section 440.32 or 440.33 for conductor sizing and 440.22(a) for branch circuit short circuit and ground fault protection. The calculations have already been performed by the manufacturer and the results are listed on the equipment nameplate. It is not necessary to repeat these calculations again in the field. Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt M (edited 06-12-2002).]

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, guys. I actually looked at those Articles, but wondered if there was anything eles. After rereading them, I think they are sufficient by themselves. This is another pesky Home Inspection Report that insists that the 40 amp CB is a violation, and recommends installing a 30 amp CB(the same report that says that an EGC is necessary for the operation of GFCI receptacles). I told the homeowner that in the case of AC equipment that this is acceptable. It looks like a new unit installed on original wiring. I'll look at the nameplate data, and ensure that the #10 is sufficient.

Thanks again!

G
Guys,
Maybe it would help if you could see a state interpretation. This is Virginias, go to page 6
http://www.dhcd.state.va.us/DBFR/trb/docs/intbook.pdf

R
Redsy Offline OP
Great, George.

Thanks!

R
Ron Offline
From George's link, the minimum circuit amps was 16 amps. Why #14?

Ron
G
#14 from 310-16 is worth 20 amps. The interpretation correctly analyzes that the notes do not apply to motors/AC loads. I don't think it supercedes 110-14 (c)(1), but it doesn't make any difference one way or the other here.

R
Ron Offline
I'm so used to 240-3(d) limiting #14 to a 15A breaker that I missed 240-(g) refering back to 440 Parts C & F

Ron
T
I am not trying to contradict the general consensus here when I ask if it is worth running the larger wire when the difference is not a budget buster. If the name plate OCPD is forty amps and the circuit selection current is 24 amps am I safe in assuming that the overload protection provided in the unit is going to prevent any overloading of the number ten conductors.

If the load is overload protected by the fuses or circuit breaker would it still be safe to use a lower circuit selection current than the OCPD value or setting or is there a chance that the equipment will develop an overload that the breaker will tolerate to the failure point of the conductors.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard