ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 276 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80843 06/04/02 06:34 AM
R
Redsy Offline OP
I have a situation where a wall mounted oven is mounted in a base cabinet. The original installer mounted a receptacle behind the oven. But, I don't believe this is accessible as the oven would have to be unscrewed & removed to gain access. They also installed the 120 volt receptacle for the gas cooktop ignition in the same area. I believe that I have to relocate the 120 receptacle and install the j-box for the new hard-wired oven in the back of an adjacent base cabinet, but if I don't have to do so, I would like to leave the wiring intact in order to minimize the cost to these senior citizens.
Any thoughts?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#80844 06/04/02 06:49 AM
E
The oven setup is ok. The j box can be in the same cabinet as the oven. As for the cooktop I think this is fine. Maybe it would be better if the 120 receptacle was easier accesed but I cant find a code reference that says it must be.

#80845 06/04/02 08:38 AM
R
Redsy Offline OP
scott,
You think the j-box & receptacle would seem to be "accessible" even though the oven would need to be removed (dismounted) to gain access?
I guess that since no disturbance of the building materials would be required, this may be considered accessible by definition, but I'm not too sure.

#80846 06/04/02 06:03 PM
S
the only thing ( other than accessable definitions that i can find...)

(3) Wall-Mounted Ovens and Counter-Mounted Cooking Units. Wall-mounted ovens and counter-mounted cooking units complete with provisions for mounting and for making electrical connections shall be permitted to be permanently connected or, only for ease in servicing or for installation, cord-and-plug connected.
A separable connector or a plug and receptacle combination in the supply line to an oven or cooking unit shall be approved for the temperature of the space in which it is located.

#80847 06/04/02 09:54 PM
E
I read that also. I do kitchens everyday and have yet to have an inspector cite me on this type of setup. In a new installation I put the j box in the cabinet above the oven if at all possible. This allows the kitchen guys to install the oven and I dont have to move it to make the connections. Also the only reason you would need to get to the j box would be to disconnect the oven to remove it.

Link Copied to Clipboard