ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#80359 04/04/02 06:05 PM
W
Just looking at the diagram, I would say the engineer could re-arrange a few things and get most, if not all of the required working clearances. However, you are in a better position to make that call. Many times, as a designer, I will make re-arrangement in my equipment layouts to get better working clearances. I would rather do that than rebuild the "round houses". (Why are they round anyway?)
Just something to think about.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#80360 04/04/02 07:10 PM
S
Warren1,

The current discussion with the engineer is to relocate everything. Rebuilding would be the last resort. The distribution panel, lighting panel, control panel, and pump starter must meet minimum clearance since they will most likely require troubleshooting while energized. The transformer and disconnects don't require servicing while energized and won't need as much clearance. The transformer cannot be below the disconnects, but could be hung from the ceiling. I don't know why it wasn't done that way in the first place. The copper water line and PVC drains can be relocated to allow clearance for the panels. Some well houses have less space than this one because of more equipment. All the maintenance guys in our department wondered why they were round. That was the biggest complaint when we first looked at them. Wouldn't have cost much more to have made them larger. It's gonna cost a hell of a lot more now!

sparks55

#80361 04/09/02 05:40 AM
J
Stick to you guns there. Sounds like your on the right path. You are a rate payer/tax payer and you have first hand knowledge of these problems,. You might be competent enough to work safely around these areas as they are, everyone may not, Thats the reason behind the code, to help protect everyone. Water plants last a long time and you won't be there forever, so by getting this took care of now you are saving everybody money now as it would cost much more to fix it later after someone gets hurt or even killed. You must however be tactful when stating you point, firm but tactful. I work for the local water plant here in town too. We have a large resivoir instead of the wells. I guess the only thing here I don't care for is the 2400 VAC all our pumps run on. We have a direct feed 7 miles from town and 2400 Volts coming out of own Xformer bank and 2400 VAC MCC 25 years old. Its all coming out next year going back with 480/277 thank god.

Lighting the way
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard