ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#80229 03/19/02 09:31 AM
Tom Offline
James,

Remember that free advice is worth what you pay for it & that applies to this forum also.
However, at least on this forum, someone will jump up & get the right answer eventually. I don't think anyone who posts answers here is right 100% of the time, though I can think of a few who are at 98% or better.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#80230 03/19/02 10:01 PM
J
Ain't that the truth.. But on here the chances of getting the right answer is far better then the answers I get from others I know.. Unfortunatly, I have spent many years around the wrong kind of people.. Just amazes me how I came out so well.. [Linked Image] Guess I learned by watching there mistakes / stupidity.

James

#80231 03/20/02 08:52 AM
Tom Offline
James,

Your comments about learning from others mistakes brings to mind another old saying "Good judgement comes from experiance. Experiance comes from poor judgement."

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 03-20-2002).]

#80232 03/20/02 02:18 PM
J
Then that would mean I do poor work.. That is far from the truth.. If I have the slighest question in my head I will research the code in debth before starting that paticular work. I cut no corners or spare any expense. There was even one time where my screw up on estimating, put me in the hole and I lost money on the job. But in the end the customer was happy the inspector was happy and I was able to sleep at night.. [Linked Image] So far out oif about 100 inspections over the past 5 years. I have never failed one of them. Due to my work. There was only one instance where I had to go on to a job that another electrician had done. The inspector had an inspection and failed misserably. So I went and repaired exactly what was on the inspectors list. The major problem was a sub panel in a pool house. They ran a 2/o aluminum to a 100 amp subpanel and cut the threads to fit it under a breaker. Also the neturals and grounds were under the same bars/screws. So I fixed just what he failed it for. But there was no isolated ground going back to the main panel some 300' away. I knew that was a problem so when they came to reinspect I pointed it out to him and asked why it was not put on his original list. It was just an oversight on the other inspector. But he added it in. That was the only time I failed an inspection. The work was not originally done by me, I just pointed out the violation when they came to reinspect. Needless to say that inspector likes to inspect my job's. [Linked Image]

James

#80233 03/20/02 02:56 PM
Tom Offline
Maybe we'll amend that to "on rare occaisions, good judgement comes from good experiance." Usually though, for most of us, we have to make a few mistakes, those that are paying attention learn from them.

Tom

#80234 03/20/02 05:55 PM
T
motor good call I guess i should have kept reading 680.44 Protection I really missed that, thanks.

#80235 03/20/02 09:57 PM
J
I will not say I am perfect or that I know it all.. Anyone who does, is full of it.. [Linked Image] I mean some times I will cut a corner now and then.. Ie if I dont have a ground screw on hand I will ground it some other way. or maybe I will put a piece of white tape around a piece of NM when only the outer shielding is cut.. [Linked Image] Little things we all cut corners on. But when it comes to anything major or a matter of safty, I never cut corners. As I am sure we all do in here. But as we all see far too often wether it be on the job or by Joe's violation pic's. Those are the persons who have trained me as a greenie' basically the majority of the knowledge I learned from them is how not to do things.. [Linked Image]

James

#80236 03/21/02 07:35 AM
E
Isolated ground going back to the main panel? I hope you don't mean the #8 bond. I still see people running this back to the main panel. Otherwise if you mean grounding conductor you do not need to run one to a seperate building. You can ground it at that loction. As for the white tape you'll need to get some yellow for the new romex!

#80237 03/21/02 11:23 PM
J
Sorry Insulated ground. For that 100 amp sub panel if I remember correctly I think I ran 4 #2's back to the main panel. or I may of downsized the ground to a #4. either way it was an insulated ground.. [Linked Image]

Had something else on my mind when I typed isolated..

James

#80238 03/22/02 07:20 AM
E
I am just saying that if it is a sub panel in a seperate building you need no ground back to the main panel, you can install a new ground in that building.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard