ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Martin Offline OP
I have an electrical panel that has three flexible cables entering in from the top of the panel. I told the department that I thought it was a violation of NEC code. I have found the listed references.

Are there any other codes that would apply?, or is this a ligitmate way of tying into the panel.

400-3 Suitability
Flexible cords and cables and their associated fittings shall be suitable for the conditions of use and location

400-8(1) Uses Not Permitted
Unless specifically permitted in Section 400-7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

400-7(b) Uses Permitted
(b) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted is subsections (a)(3), (a)(6) and (a)(8), each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Are we talking NMB, MC, SJ, SO.....???? What kind of flexible cable are we discussing here? I am assuming something along the lines of So or SJ, but we all know what assuming does.

Martin,

It looks like you've got your references already. I've seen, just recently, where someone had their Dryer connected to the panel with 10/3 S cord. It was at that stage where the outside rubber is starting to deteriorate. I informed the Homeowner of the situation, but never heard back from them.

Bill

Bill
A
Martin,
Is this temporary wiring? I would only approve the installation you describe if it is temporary wiring and in compliance with article 305. Otherwise, it should be replaced with an approved permanent wiring method. Regards, Art

Link Copied to Clipboard